Little Loki

cass737

Hi all! I posted a quick question a few days ago about worms, but since I've been spending so much time reading all the great information on here and snooping on everyone else's pictures, I figured I should post one of my own and introduce myself!
My name is Cassandra and I am a vet student at the Ontario Veterinary College in Canada. I have a strong interest in avian and exotic medicine and spent the summer working with wildlife (including reptiles!) in Australia. I recently acquired my very first chameleon who is 75% Ambilobe and 25% Mitsio from a breeder in my area. His name is Loki and he is 4 months old. I hope you enjoy the photo :) He has a ton of personality!

Attachments

• 20140902_185139.jpg
    20140902_185139.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
He's cute. Is that a recent pic? Are you sure about his age? He seems mighty small for 5 months. My ambilobe will be 5 months this Sunday here's a pic for size reference

I thought the same thing Lazy Boy, and was cautious before I purchased him about his size. However the reading I have done has convinced me that they all grow at their own rate and just because he is smaller right now does not mean that he is a runt or will not be normal size/colouration. I saw his sire as well as a male from a previous litter and both were very impressive. He eats very well and I'm not concerned at this point as he has grown significantly even in the week I've had him.
Should I be concerned?

Nope I wouldn't be. I'm sure he will color up great. I'm just saying he's not 5 months old in that pic. From the pic I would say 3 months or younger. Just feed him appropriate size feeder and enjoy watching him color up. Here's the thread I keep updated I got pics from just over 5 weeks to almost 5 months now. Just to give you a idea in size and growth https://www.chameleonforums.com/lazy-boy-home-130229/ do you have any pics of his sire?

If it helps, Loki is not much smaller than my guy was at about 4-5 months. Loki will grow FAST with proper care.

Also, I do not agree with Kath. Loki appears to be a young male to me. While there is not yet a bulge in the tail, it appears to be tapered ant thicker at the base near the vent (even if only slightly). Feed him all he can eat, which will be a lot at his age, and give him lots of UVB and proper Temps for basking, and he will grow and color up nicely and FAST.

If I am wrong and it is not a male, it will become obvious soon enough. Keep us updated with pics as he grows.

Congrats on the little one!

I would say that at 5 months, he/she is very small for their age. There is still plenty of time for growth, and yes they do grow at different rates. But that looks to be one of the runts and likely won't be a normal sized chameleon - which is fine if you have no intentions of breeding it.

I am leaning towards female as well. Can you post a picture with it's tail base sticking straight out?

Here is a photo of the base of his tail. Let me know what you guys think!
Also, I did see his siblings, and he was the largest of the bunch. At the time the breeder also had Nosy Faly babies, and I know he said they were almost 5 months. I am wondering if I got the ages mixed up and Loki's litter is actually younger than the Faly's. I have emailed the breeder to double check and will keep you posted.

Attachments

• 20140905_182238.jpg
    20140905_182238.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 106
I change my thought that it is a male. That is definitely a female! that shot makes it rather obvious. If it is supposed to be a male, I would contact the breeder and trade for a male, unless , of course, you are ok with having a female.:)

Well I have to admit that that is a little disappointing as I was really hoping for a male and was told he was a male. The breeder seemed very knowledgeable and his answers to my questions matched up with everything I read on here. He also asked me good questions and seemed like he really cared that the little guy was getting a good home. I feel like I'm usually pretty good at reading people and I really didn't think he was trying to lie or rip me off.....

It's just really too bad because I've really gotten attached to him/her even in the short time I've had her, and I can't afford two chameleons right now! Any advice?

If you really want a male then I would contact the breeder. Its very easy to get attached to them so I understand if you keep her. Is the breeder driving distance or would you need to ship her back? I doubt he ment to sell you a female but it is kind of obvious.

I have contacted the breeder and he said that the hatch date is May 1, so she is just over four months old. I suppose that explains the size a little better.

Also he has a guarantee that it is a male and has said that he will be happy to give me another one from the same sire if it ends up being a female. I will have to think about that one because I have gotten quite attached, male or female she is a sweet little thing.

I love both of my females, though neither is as friendly or laid back as my male. They all have their own personalities and are so easy to become attached to.

Here is a straight on picture from the side.
Still not sure what I'll do if it turns out to be a female!

Attachments

• 20140905_194943.jpg
    20140905_194943.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 144
I really don't know what to tell you to do. What I can tell you is that there is no question that you have a beautiful little girl. Both the shape of the tail and the color of your Cham tell us she is indeed a she. By 4 months, males are usually already starting to get some color. Here are a couple of shots of my boy. The first was at 3 months, the second was at 4 months, and the last is at 5 months.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom