Liquid Urate?

KeopiCat

Avid Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Chameleo Calyptratus, approx. 1 year old, male. In my care since September
  • Handling - About 2-3 times a week, usually exclusively for transport to the shower.
  • Feeding - Mondo currently eats silkworms, hornworms, and crickets. About 12 feeders everyday, mixed and matched. I feed him once a day somewhere between 8am-12pm. Crickets are gut loaded with Bug burger, hibiscus leaves, and carrots; the worms are gut loaded with their respective "chows".
  • Supplements - Calcium Plus every feeding.
  • Watering - I use a MistKing and Showers. The MistKing goes off at 8,11:30, 3, and 6 for 6-8 mins. He has 30mins showers once or twice a week. I see him drinking a bit during the showers and he tends to avoid the water during misting sessions. (I think I see him drink more often in showers is because I'm forced to supervise him, while when the mister goes off I might not be there.)
  • Fecal Description - His urates are an off-white color, once in a while orange in small places, but I'm fairly confident his poops were* considered healthy. He has not been tested but I have an appointment to get him a check-up soon. (*see problem)
  • History - I got him from a chain pet store when he was a sub adult. I don't really know what to put here...

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze XL: 2x2x4 screen
  • Lighting - ZooMed Powersun 100W (Saving up for a LightYourReptiles light and heat bulb combo to replace this) 7:30am-8pm.
  • Temperature - 89 - 75F. Lowest overnight temp is around 70F. Digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - ~50% resting, and 80% while/soon after mistings. Created with MistKing, maintained with plants. Measured with a gauge.
  • Plants - Yes. Two umbrella plants and one ficus.
  • Placement - My bedroom. It's near a vent, but the vent is blocked during the winter. I'm usually the only person in the room and since it's my bedroom, the "traffic" is mainly me napping. The top of the cage is approx 7ft high.
  • Location - South-East PA

Current Problem - Mondo's urates are very liquidy, and I can't find much of a solid from today. I assume they are rates because there are no chunks or anything in it (so not diarrhea?). It just looks like a clear mucus.

Personally I think he is just real hydrated as long as the brown stuff is there as well. Have you been feeding him juicy bugs like silk worms, or horn worms? One more thing you should be giving him calcium without d3 as well. Give it to him with d3 (+) twice a week, and calcium without d3 every other feeding.

Personally I think he is just real hydrated as long as the brown stuff is there as well. Have you been feeding him juicy bugs like silk worms, or horn worms? One more thing you should be giving him calcium without d3 as well. Give it to him with d3 (+) twice a week, and calcium without d3 every other feeding.

I have been giving him worms along with crickets. Is it still normal for hemipenes to come out when deficating, even if he is super hydrated? I'm dumb and didn't look for feces when he was awake, so I'll have to see if it's there tomorrow morning.
Also, as calcium is concerned, would you recommend I switch to two separate powders instead of the Repashy one I'm using?

Mondo currently eats silkworms, hornworms,

Ding ding ding, we have our answer. Urate will turn liquid with a high worm diet. You are perfectly fine, the little guy is just really hydrated and its perfectly normal since you are feeding him a water pill with a protein shell (and high in calcium with the silkies).

I have been giving him worms along with crickets. Is it still normal for hemipenes to come out when deficating, even if he is super hydrated? I'm dumb and didn't look for feces when he was awake, so I'll have to see if it's there tomorrow morning.
Also, as calcium is concerned, would you recommend I switch to two separate powders instead of the Repashy one I'm using?
Not sure about the whole hemipenis thing I think that only comes out when well you know he is happy to see a girl chameleon. Are you sure it's not a prolapse? Keep the calcium with d3 which I think is what you have, but just give it to him twice a week. Then get him some calcium without d3 for every other feeding. Hope you find this helpful

Not sure about the whole hemipenis thing I think that only comes out when well you know he is happy to see a girl chameleon. Are you sure it's not a prolapse? Keep the calcium with d3 which I think is what you have, but just give it to him twice a week. Then get him some calcium without d3 for every other feeding. Hope you find this helpful

I've seen @Nursemaia say that there's an all in one calcium powder which is okay for daily use, and I'm fairly sure that's what I have. I've also read that sometimes it's normal for the hemipenes to come out when pooping... but I still wanted to check. Thanks for your help today ^-^

Ding ding ding, we have our answer. Urate will turn liquid with a high worm diet. You are perfectly fine, the little guy is just really hydrated and its perfectly normal since you are feeding him a water pill with a protein shell (and high in calcium with the silkies).

Would you suggest I cut back on the worms a bit? I just want to make sure that the liquid pee has no health concerns. Thanks for your help ^-^

I wouldn't be concerned over 1 liquid urate. If it continues I'd get a fecal done as it can indicate parasites, usually coccidia. The all in one is made by Repashy. If you don't want to use that then it's calcium without D3 every feeding and calcium with D3 and a multivitamin 2x a month on alternate weeks. It's also normal for the hemipenes to pop out while pooping but it should go right back in.

Would you suggest I cut back on the worms a bit? I just want to make sure that the liquid pee has no health concerns. Thanks for your help ^-^

No you are fine. I get 60 days of silkies every summer, the entire crew gets mushy or runny urate since i just throw a few in each cage each day. Happens to the beardies and frillies too.

I've seen @Nursemaia say that there's an all in one calcium powder which is okay for daily use, and I'm fairly sure that's what I have. I've also read that sometimes it's normal for the hemipenes to come out when pooping... but I still wanted to check. Thanks for your help today ^-^
I don't know how normal it is I have owned chameleons for over twenty years, and have not noticed this behavior. But as long as it goes back in it's okay just keep an eye on it. I also haven't herd of this all in one supplement, but as long as your cham doesn't get too much d3 it should be ok. Repashy is a reputable company I would trust anything they sell.

The reason the all-in-one supplement works is because they balance the vit a and d3 well to make sure there is no excess. I have checked it out and use it purely with all my reptiles. In fact I have now switched the calcium plus, instead of their LoD formula which is purely made for Montanes, to use with my jacksons. I use the Calcium Plus once a week and usually only dust part of her feeders with it. Have yet to have any issues and my girl is super sensitive to over supplementing. I also do my regular calcium with her.

As far as the hemipenes coming out even if he is well hydrated that is pretty normal, it comes out after a sperm plug is usually deposited and they just usually do it to clean their hemipenes really well. You may have never noticed it @brownie64 because it happens for only a few seconds in healthy males.

Back
Top Bottom