Liquid Calcium Forever?

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
For Hope, my Jackson with severe MBD, I was wondering if she'd be on liquid calcium her entire life? I know she will still need it for quite a while, her leg movements aren't quite right yet and her bones I still think could be stronger. Her jaw has become so much better though, but I don't expect it to normal, I always expect it to be slightly open through out her entire life. However it is not open enough to be dangerous to her health. Her grip, even in her front legs is strong, and she eats like a machine. She'll eat just about anything I put in her feeder cup, especially loves the roaches and silkworms. She is pooping on her own too, no constipation anymore, no more signs of edema since she now can get to the mister in time drink well.

If she can come off the liquid calcium, what should be the signs I am looking for to eventually take her off?

I am no expert on liquid calcium dosing, but it sounds as if she' on the mend now. IMHO, maybe switch to "normal" calcium dusting and see how she does.

An xray and blood work would be the best diagnostic. That will show bone density and blood calcium levels and let you know if she's getting enough calcium now and how remineralized her bones have become. You may be able to keep the levels in the blood at the right amount with just dusting, but with the liquid she should excrete any extra so it's probably a safer option without diagnostics.

From my understanding, it can take 6 months for breaks to heal in reptiles since they are cold blooded and do not heal as quickly as mammals. I imagine it takes just as long for the bones to get calcium back in severe cases, possibly longer. I was also told by a reptile rescue who has been doing it for a few decades that (obviously) the damage is permanent, and that they are at higher risk of relapse for life so need to be watched closely.

Jane seemed to recover in three months with heavy dusting, and I'm doing normal dusting and liquid once a week now that I have it, probably for the rest of her life. The MBD gecko I plan to keep on daily liquid calcium for at least 6 months due to the state he and the others were in. The RescueCal+ powder can be frozen to keep it fresher for longer after opening, so a single small bottle is going to last a very long time. Cost shouldn't be an issue, just the extra time it takes. :)

I've been doing pure liquid calcium for her during her recovery, three times a week. I haven't done any powdered D3 since she started eating on her own again since she seems to get overdosed, even for a montane, rather easily. I haven't done multivitamins either. I will be waiting an extra month to do so. Especially since it's getting warmer outside and I can start taking her out more. Before it was only 50 degrees during the morning.

Back
Top Bottom