Lights

camillethecham

Established Member
I have a 100w heat bulb and a 10.0 UVB ReptiSun mini compact flouorescent bulb. I heard that these are safe, and this is what most Chameleon owners use. Would both of the bulbs be too hot for my chameleon? Or do you think she'd be okay? She seems to get these dark outlining circle around her eyes.

Depending on what cham you have, you will have to measure the temperatures with a quality temp gun. From what I've read, most people use the 5.0 uvb unless they have a decent sized custom made cage where they need the extra uvb to penetrate further into the enclosure.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (still piecing together my setup)

Depending on what cham you have, you will have to measure the temperatures with a quality temp gun. From what I've read, most people use the 5.0 uvb unless they have a decent sized custom made cage where they need the extra uvb to penetrate further into the enclosure.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (still piecing together my setup)
Okay thank you, she's a veiled chameleon. Her lights are about 6 to 7 inches from the perch she uses to bask.

Okay thank you, she's a veiled chameleon. Her lights are about 6 to 7 inches from the perch she uses to bask.
That's good. 6-8 inches away is fine. Make sure she doesn't reach up though, as she might get burned. Also, I have to agree with the other person (sorry I wasn't looking at names) with the 5.0 thing. That's what I use.

The Reptisun 5.0 should work for a cage that small. Even a 50 watt sounds high for a female. It really depends on what her temps are. Females should bask in the low 80's. You need to get a good digital temp gum like in my blog.

The Reptisun 5.0 should work for a cage that small. Even a 50 watt sounds high for a female. It really depends on what her temps are. Females should bask in the low 80's. You need to get a good digital temp gum like in my blog.
Okay, I will definitely look for a good digital temp gun. :) Thank you for your help!

I had the same question when we adopted our 1st chameleons. Most of the information I could find is that the 5.0 is the standard UVB. A thermometer is the best way to determine what is needed for basking, but in my experience 100 watt is too hot. Good though, chameleons are really fun!

I had the same question when we adopted our 1st chameleons. Most of the information I could find is that the 5.0 is the standard UVB. A thermometer is the best way to determine what is needed for basking, but in my experience 100 watt is too hot. Good though, chameleons are really fun!
Thank you, they are really fun! :p

Back
Top Bottom