Lighting Positions and Cage Design

danielwilu0818

Hello there ya chamer's! (horrible attempt at making a chameleon pun, I think) So I was wondering if a 75 watt bulb for a 3 month old panther chameleon is alright to just set it on top of the enclosure. I'm gonna house my soon-to-come Sammy in a 16x16x30 reptibreeze cage. I was also wondering if I'm going to need more plants and vines. I'll be ordering all my things for lllreptile since I heard so many good things about them and saves me time and gas to drive to my local plant farm. They sell plants, so I'll be ordering a large ficus tree. According to the description, the size is 8" Pot, Tree is 28 - 38" tall. Is this good? I'm planning on mounting this in the middle area of the cage.Since It is very bushy, I assume this could be a great hiding place for my little guy. As for the bottom area, I'll also be getting a dwarf umbrella plant, again, the size is 18 - 24" in a 6" pot. This can be used as a little sleeping area maybe? I won't be putting any live plants at the top though (depending what type of feedback I get) so I'll just be adding a basking branch and a hanging vine that will travel around the cage. What do you think? Leave your feedback :) Anything helps!

The bulb wattage needed varies for everybody. It really depends on the temps that the room is in general and then you go from there to make sure the basking area is reaching the right temp and then it varies down throughout the cage. My lights are just sitting on top of the cage and have not had any trouble. As for the plants and vines, just make sure there are plenty of them so that Sammy has lots to climb around on and he will probably sleep in different areas. Once you get things set up then post pictures in the enclosures forum and you can get more advice that way as well. On the cage size, I know that most people will say that the size you are getting is not really quite big enough for a adult male panther, most will say you should have the 24x24x48, but a 3 month should start out in something a bit smaller to make sure he is eating properly and doesn't feel overwhelmed.

The bulb wattage needed varies for everybody. It really depends on the temps that the room is in general and then you go from there to make sure the basking area is reaching the right temp and then it varies down throughout the cage. My lights are just sitting on top of the cage and have not had any trouble. As for the plants and vines, just make sure there are plenty of them so that Sammy has lots to climb around on and he will probably sleep in different areas. Once you get things set up then post pictures in the enclosures forum and you can get more advice that way as well. On the cage size, I know that most people will say that the size you are getting is not really quite big enough for a adult male panther, most will say you should have the 24x24x48, but a 3 month should start out in something a bit smaller to make sure he is eating properly and doesn't feel overwhelmed.
So do you suggest a 16x16x20 reptibreeze? I want Sammy to learn that I am no threat to him, so I won't be putting crickets in his cage so he can hunt, rather I'll hand feed him. I know that its Important that chameleons should hunt.

That size sounds good for his first cage. As for the feeding thing, every cham is different. Mine is mainly cup fed, but the crickets also escape the cup and so he also hunts. He has never seen me as a threat and has always loved to be handled, but they vary. I don't know that they make the distinction of hunting and you being a threat, but many people say that hand feeding can help you gain their trust.

That size sounds good for his first cage. As for the feeding thing, every cham is different. Mine is mainly cup fed, but the crickets also escape the cup and so he also hunts. He has never seen me as a threat and has always loved to be handled, but they vary. I don't know that they make the distinction of hunting and you being a threat, but many people say that hand feeding can help you gain their trust.
Yeah, Its true. Thanks for the cup tip! At what age would Sammy outgrow the cage?

I read what you typed, you need to read the well made care sheets this site provides. I'm not going to re-invent the wheel for you but you lighting is lacking for starters. You'll find excellent help there also concerning feeding and supplementation. You'll welcome to ignore me, however if you don't make some changes for you new buddy you'll be making posts in the health section over the next 2-4 months. :cool:

I read what you typed, you need to read the well made care sheets this site provides. I'm not going to re-invent the wheel for you but you lighting is lacking for starters. You'll find excellent help there also concerning feeding and supplementation. You'll welcome to ignore me, however if you don't make some changes for you new buddy you'll be making posts in the health section over the next 2-4 months. :cool:
Well yeah, I know I need to provide UVB in a reptisun 5.0 strip light 12 hours a day and heat as well. Only do reptivite 2 times a month, as long with calcium d3. Supplement at every feeding with calcium no d3. Gut load my feeders with cricket crack and fresh vegetables. Use my MistKing to hydrate Sammy. Lots of hiding spots for him. So I think I pretty much know the basics. I think.

Back
Top Bottom