Lighting for new cage

Maybe this light would be a good option fro you. http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52323p.htm

I use this fixture for all of my Chams and it works wonderfully. It comes with Plant bulbs, so you just need to take one out and replace it with a Reptisun T5 or Arcadia bulb. Also, remove the splash guard, it will filter out the UV and is not needed. It is bar none the best bang for the buck, plus it has a built in light timer. I love these lights.

The shipping will still be about $50, but you will not find a comparable fixture anywhere for $120 (approx. what you would pay with shipping).

Just a quick warning about that fixture: I work in the aquarium industry, and these fixtures are known garbage. And known to melt and/or start fires.

Granted, used in different applications (directly over marine or freshwater), but it's something worth sharing.

Just a quick warning about that fixture: I work in the aquarium industry, and these fixtures are known garbage. And known to melt and/or start fires.

Granted, used in different applications (directly over marine or freshwater), but it's something worth sharing.

yes, croastbeast--
folks should educate themselves.

lightyourreptiles.com doesn't sell those, even though I am familiar with them and have looked at them before---
and here is just a tip of the iceberg why:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2217576

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXMWalopuN0

simply use Google and put in "Odyssea Fire" and then read.....:eek:

FYI
we also don't sell DeepBlue, we tried them for a while and they looked great--and seemed made very well, but the ballasts we so weak for some reason ?? the UV being produced by the bulbs was about half of what it should be.... even though they seemed to be powering the bulbs ok. The ballasts are important too to get the most out of the bulbs.

LightYourReptiles.com fixtures are made for LYR by a factory I have done business with for 3 years. And covered by LYR's 2 million dollar product liability insurance policy (details on request).

And LightYourReptiles.com is a staunch supporter of this forum and the hobby as a whole.:):):)

As consumers,
folks are free to spend money as they choose... rather they do it wisely or foolishly is up to them. ;)

But they should do their homework first.:D

Cheers!
Todd

I agree, I have one of these and it's very nice.
But I dont know what Todd would charge for shipping to Canada?!

its 32.00 - 36.00 for a light fixture priority mail to Canada, depending on the size of fixture and where its going.

HINT: the website will tabulate it out and add it in, when you fill your cart and go to check out (most shopping cart websites now have this new feature) and hey- if someone then doesn't want to complete the order, then they can always opt out before paying.
But is is a handy way to get the shipping / handling cost.

Thank you.
Todd

LightYourReptiles.com fixtures are made for LYR by a factory I have done business with for 3 years. And covered by LYR's 2 million dollar product liability insurance policy (details on request).

They are very well made and the knowledge and customer service of LYR can't be beat.

I can vouch for the quality of LYR(Light Your Reptiles) light fixtures. I just received mine yesterday via canvas chameleons and WOW. Should have bit the bullet and purchased these from the jump. However, I did not research lighting when I first purchased my boys. It was only after I had purchased mediocre lighting that I came across LYR. Much like a misting system, high quality light fixtures are a must IMO for keeping chameleons in captivity. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" I am sure there are cheaper ways to put together light fixtures for your chameleons enclosures, how ever, the fixtures from LYR are IMO the best of the best. The quality is amazing. They look so nice sitting on top of the cage. I like things to look neat and tidy. I do not like cluster. DEFINITELY worth the money. Every single penny. When I plugged my LYR fixture in, then placed my chameleons back in their enclosures (I always remove chameleons from their enclosures when making any adjustments to it to reduce stress) There was an immediate response to the new light. Their colors are not dark and blah, they show their vibrant beautiful colors much like when they are out in the real sun. The visual benefits of LYR's fixtures are just icing on the cake. The health benefits for your chameleons and live plants are the real reason for the purchase. Your plants and chameleons will thrive with the fixtures from LYR.

Chameleons are expensive is what people say, but in all actuality, keeping a chameleon in captivity properly is what I think they mean. The chameleon will be the cheapest part. You could opt for a mediocre enclosure, but you will have a mediocre looking chameleon who lives a mediocre life for a mediocre amount of time. If you want a chameleon to have vibrant colors and live a nice long life, provide superior products. The only corners I have found you can cut are when it comes to feeders and gut load. Breed your own feeders, and make your own gut load.

You can guarantee when your chameleon passes away, another chameleon will be purchased to replace it. Making all the expensive purchases now will save you in the long run. When someone who is not a reptile enthusiast like us comes over and sees my chameleons, (in some cases seeing a chameleon, in real life, for the first time in their lives) I want them to look at all aspects of chameleon keeping, not just the chameleon, and go wow! that's really cool! Anyway, I am just rambling now. Moral of the story, make the purchase. Buy the 'expensive' light fixture. You and your chameleon, will be glad you did :) btw, I bought the quad light fixture. :D

Last edited:
I didn't expect to get so many replies for this, thanks for all the great advice guys! Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to read all these new posts until today as I have been out of town for the last couple days and the last thing I did before I left town was order the Odyssea light fixture.

I'll see how it goes and let you know once it arrives, the only problem I am having now is just locating a T5 HO bulb that isn't online. Before I left town I talked to my friend who works at my local pet store (he also is babysitting my cham right now) and he said they can probably order in the reptisun T5 in the right size etc. so I think I should be set for now.

However, if anyone is familiar with the Manhattan area of NYC and knows of any good reptile stores that would sell lights, let me know! I would be willing to check them out as that is where I am right now:D

I don't know where you live, but I'm in southern Ontario, and I'm here to say we have options. Try looking for local reptile stores in your area. If you're around toronto - Reptilia is a must-see! They have everything.

I'm closer to Niagara Falls, but I still have many places to go. I'll PM you. :)

I didn't expect to get so many replies for this, thanks for all the great advice guys! Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to read all these new posts until today as I have been out of town for the last couple days and the last thing I did before I left town was order the Odyssea light fixture.

I'll see how it goes and let you know once it arrives, the only problem I am having now is just locating a T5 HO bulb that isn't online. Before I left town I talked to my friend who works at my local pet store (he also is babysitting my cham right now) and he said they can probably order in the reptisun T5 in the right size etc. so I think I should be set for now.

However, if anyone is familiar with the Manhattan area of NYC and knows of any good reptile stores that would sell lights, let me know! I would be willing to check them out as that is where I am right now:D

LightYourReptiles ships Arcadia bulbs & fixtures to Canada all the time.
;)

But what you may not know--
LYR has many wholesale customers in Canada.:cool:

New retailer in Canada- the The Dragon Lair in Kinburn Ontario 613.852.4501 ask for Ben) who can hook you if with Arcadia bulbs if you are going with that and will have the bulb size you need in stock. :)

Also Casey Trizpit at Winnipeg Reptiles in Manitoba 207.632.6614 is going CraZy with ArCadIA!
He will have the bulb for that fixture.

Just sayin'
Cheers
Todd

sorry mods- I know this is kind of / sort af ad-sy. please don't *spank* me too bad..:eek:. but I just want to let the Canadian folks know there are sources up there in Canada now for ho t5 & allot more being added every day. cheers Todd:eek:

Back
Top Bottom