Lighting for new cage

samthechamman

Hey guys,

so i built my 24" x 24" x 48" (length, width, height) terrarium and before I get my cham into his new home I need new lighting. I looked around online and found some great looking light fixtures but unfortunately I live in Canada and they're almost all US based, so shipping is around $50 from most trusted sites.

I was wondering if this exo terra 23.6” x 3.5” x 7.8” light fixture would be enough to keep my plants thriving (even ones at the bottom of the cage) and my cham healthy. It is a good price as well, roughly 65$ CAN.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/compact_top.php

Let me know what you guys think would be best!

I as well as any others would suggest linear fluorescent bulb fixtures. even with those fixtures huge significance between T5 and T8. Strongly recommend a t5 system will really help plants thrive. to even better it id go double t5 have one uvb bulb and one plant. will easily light up the whole cage

Maybe this light would be a good option fro you. http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52323p.htm

I use this fixture for all of my Chams and it works wonderfully. It comes with Plant bulbs, so you just need to take one out and replace it with a Reptisun T5 or Arcadia bulb. Also, remove the splash guard, it will filter out the UV and is not needed. It is bar none the best bang for the buck, plus it has a built in light timer. I love these lights.

The shipping will still be about $50, but you will not find a comparable fixture anywhere for $120 (approx. what you would pay with shipping).

that seems like a pretty awesome set up, but mind you, you will have to purchase the uvb lighting ontop of the 120 which makes it almost as expensive as a quad fixture from light your reptiles. and light your reptiles comes with 2 arcadia bulbs which saves you even more money in the long run.

Mind you the one samthechamman mentioned seems to be really well priced as well and includes timer feature.

to the OP I live in canada too, and when i placed my order i bought lighting in a small bulk i ordered 5 bulbs because shipping for an indivdual bulb was ridiculous, although pet stores are around I wanted to go with arcadia so should last me about 5 yrs in bulbs

What kind of light set up are you currently using jamjam?

And to Lpsouth1987, would there be any substitute for these T5 or Arcadia bulbs? I live in a smaller town in Canada and I am pretty sure that the local pet store does not carry these brands, it mainly sells exo terra coil bulbs and aquarium lights. I will check next time I am at the pet store. I like to refrain from ordering online.

Also, would the exo terra light set up I linked in the original post be sufficient enough? How much better is tube lighting vs coil lighting?

i have a t5 dual arcadia set up. right now my guy is 3mo and in a plastic tote still so only use one bulb. IMO t5 would be the best way to go i know zilla and zoomed also make fixtures.

check the aquarium lights if they have reflectors the should be fine too i think t8 would be next best bet next to t5. compact bulbs in the past have been a problem cant say to much more about them just know linear are a better choice. think the distance the uvb reaches are more with the tube lights as well.

also want to mind you, you will need a basking lamp fixture as well.

check out the definitive lighting thread

your not going to find arcadia. they are european company and as far as I know light your reptiles is only authorized dealer in north america. none of those bulbs in the link provide uvb

Your best bet is to find a reptisun 10.0 T5 somewhere in Canada. They should be easy to find. Here in Colorado they are about $24 a bulb and all of the pet stores carry them.

So i found that my pet store sells reptisun T8 and T10 UVB linear lights and I am in the process of ordering the light set up from Odyssea right now. Would a T8 or T10 be too high output for this set up?

Don't order that fixture for a T8 or T10 bulb. The bulb will not work in it. If you are getting T8 or T10, you will need a different fixture. You can even use a simple fixture from the hardware store and just fashion some sort of reflector for it. It will not look as good but would work. otherwise I would ask the pet store if they can order the T5 bulbs for you. If they carry the reptisun bulbs, they shouldn't have any problem getting the T5's.

you def have to read the definitive lighting thread on the forums, will clear up alot of confusion you have and give you plenty of knowledge. t5,8, 12 are the diameters of the bulb smaller you go more output. hence t8 prob wont fit in t5.

Link big gulp ordered is the exact one i ordered. If you do end up ordering like i said shipping is expensive for individual items if yu order everything at once wont be so bad in the long run, i got my fixture and 5 6% bulbs because can get plant bulbs locally for cheap. than dont have to pay 20-30 just for a light bulbs paid less than 50 for shipping

As I mentioned huge significant difference in light output for t8 to t5. many threads support this and have pics to show. If you refrain from wanting to order online the t8 will be your next best best. a quad will be even better not to say a double will not work.

I also want to mind you again, you will need a single dome lamp for basking

I agree, I have one of these and it's very nice.
But I dont know what Todd would charge for shipping to Canada?!

it wasnt too bad ill look for my paper work to see what it costs me in shipping. but it was roughly same price id be paying for a setup from a store and figured everyone praises arcadia so much might a well go with the best

by the looks of it seems like was a bit more than i remember and expected. the dual t5 bulbs included and 3 additional bulbs cost me $177.with shipping costs of $41. what i didnt account for was fees crossing the border which i got $34 for gst and handling. so about $250 dual t5 fixture 5 6%arcadia bulbs

For a 48" tall cage, you may want to use HO versions of the t5. That is a long way for the light to reach. I like to use zoomed aqualamps. They come in 2 or 4 bulb fixtures. Use one cord and individual on/off switch for each bulb. U can set it directly on top of cage with no worries. I alternate bulbs. Two t5 ho reptisun 5.0 and two daylight bulbs.

I am actually switching my bulbs (Arcadia HO 6%) to 12%.

I have a Solarmeter, and find that in a large cage, with a lot of foliage, and measuring at 10'' through the screen, it's only between 3 and 4% that actually reaches my chams.

So I ordered a few 12% tubes from Todd to replace the 6% ones that are in the larger cages.

May want to give that some thought, but I would be careful if your cham is under 4 months old. It may be too much.

Back
Top Bottom