Lighting and hear for baby veiled chameleon!

Lexlynn

Established Member
so tomorrow I get a baby veiled chameleon. I ordered her from underground reptiles. Wish I saw this website first which says a lot of bad things. I’ve set up her cage a lot of foliage and vines. My biggest issue is her heat. Right now highest point in her cage is about 7 inches under the light (75 watt) and it’s only reading 80 degrees. From my understanding it should be 85 degrees. Her ambient temp is 68. I’m in Pennsylvania so it’s getting cold but my heat is always on. Should I try a 100 watt? I feel that’s a lot. My cage is 46” tall, 24” wide and 24” depth.

so tomorrow I get a baby veiled chameleon. I ordered her from underground reptiles. Wish I saw this website first which says a lot of bad things. I’ve set up her cage a lot of foliage and vines. My biggest issue is her heat. Right now highest point in her cage is about 7 inches under the light (75 watt) and it’s only reading 80 degrees. From my understanding it should be 85 degrees. Her ambient temp is 68. I’m in Pennsylvania so it’s getting cold but my heat is always on. Should I try a 100 watt? I feel that’s a lot. My cage is 46” tall, 24” wide and 24” depth.
Pictures of the enclosure if you could

80 is fine.

I don't use house bulb or led. I only asked as I use arcadia 75 watt ira halogen and its at 27 c around 11 inches so maybe a good 50 watt at 7 inches might be fine for baby veiled. Only my opinion as not all bulbs put out the same heat

Hi just curious what type of light for heat

im using a 75 watt exo terra. Told my boyfriend let’s do regular house bulb but heinsisted we use a reptile brand. I’m only reading 80 degrees for the-basking spot . Is that sufficient for a baby veiled chameleon ?

im using a 75 watt exo terra. Told my boyfriend let’s do regular house bulb but heinsisted we use a reptile brand. I’m only reading 80 degrees for the-basking spot . Is that sufficient for a baby veiled chameleon ?
Yes, 80 is great, don’t worry about going any hotter.

Its a girl, so 80 is the high end till she is an adult. 50 at night and 65 during the day with a basking at 75 is plenty hot.

But your main objective is to get that UVB going because she will be doubling in weight every 6 weeks :)
Yes I’ve finally set up her uv. It’s hard and frustrating because there’s so many sites saying different temps so it’s like what am I to keep it at. I bought 3 infrared temperature guns to make sure I was correctly checking as the reptile gauges suck.

This is an accurate site https://chameleonacademy.com/

Were you told the age of the cham your getting? My concern is where you bought from and the fact that it may be much too young for temps that warm. Babies under 3 months do not need heat lamps.... Temps in the low 70's are just fine. 80 would be warm. And if the baby screen climbs the top then it will be exposed to much too high UVB and heat.

Hi all I have seen a lot of comments about using inccadesent bulbs for heat Personally I don't use them. I have bulbs (in the house) fuse and explode whether it be power surge or rubbish bulbs (so y chance it i use halogen and I have never had a halogen explode. Plus use ira bulbs imo y use inccadesent?

Hi all I have seen a lot of comments about using inccadesent bulbs for heat Personally I don't use them. I have bulbs (in the house) fuse and explode whether it be power surge or rubbish bulbs (so y chance it i use halogen and I have never had a halogen explode. Plus use ira bulbs imo y use inccadesent?
They can use incandescent... most keepers use these and do not have the issues you have. Halogen is another option but can have issues being dimmed down if the fixture has a dimmer.

I don't have any issues with incandescent lights (as I don't use them in my vivs) I am just saying that I have had incandescent lights in the house that have cracked/ blown so y use them if there is a chance rather than a halogen

So update. Underground reptiles called and veiled are not available so they offered me a rainbow jackson baby?? I looked and saw they require lower temps. Does anyone have any care on them ? I postponed shipping because I setup specifically for veiled.

Back
Top Bottom