light

littlekiwi

Established Member
is this an ok light?
image.jpg

Ok, so I would still say no, since it has uv you do not want to over uv. But Im also not versed so well in UV and lights, so I would ask @Beman
*I would use a regular incandescent bulb for a heat bulb.

Side thought, do you have vents in any of the rest of your glass enclosure? If not, there is no room on top for airflow and that may be causing stagnant air. Just some food for thought.

I don't recommend colored lights for heat/basking lights. Daylight/natural light is white...and they bask in sunlight in the wild...so why use colored light in captivity?
that’s true. but i’ve already bought it.. should i return it or just use it until it gives out?

Side thought, do you have vents in any of the rest of your glass enclosure? If not, there is no room on top for airflow and that may be causing stagnant air. Just some food for thought.
i usually leave the door to her enclosure open

I'd return it if I could. All you need fo basking is a regular household incandescent light bulb in the hood. The wattage to use is determined by how hot it makes it in your basking spot. Be careful with basking lights...you don't want the chameleon to be a ble to burn itself...so test it by putting your hand inside the cage at th closest spot that the chameleon could get to the light. If you have to move your hand, it's too close and the chameleon could burn itself....and you don't want that to happen.

I'd return it if I could. All you need fo basking is a regular household incandescent light bulb in the hood. The wattage to use is determined by how hot it makes it in your basking spot. Be careful with basking lights...you don't want the chameleon to be a ble to burn itself...so test it by putting your hand inside the cage at th closest spot that the chameleon could get to the light. If you have to move your hand, it's too close and the chameleon could burn itself....and you don't want that to happen.
the bulb i was using was a household bulb at 53w. but this bulb says it heats too? so could i get rid of my longer fixture and use that bulb for uv and heat?

No, that little blue bulb you have has inadequate uv for chameleons. You need your long uv and a basking bulb, which can just be regulate old-fashioned light bulb.

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can check your husbandry for you. If you have already done that link this thread to the thread it's interesting please.

Please be specific about the supplements (brands, how often for each, do they have D3 or vitamin A or phos in them) and feeding/gutloading (what you specifically use) of the insects.

Back
Top Bottom