light

kinyonga

Chameleon Enthusiast
the bulb i was using was a household bulb at 53w. but this bulb says it heats too? so could i get rid of my longer fixture and use that bulb for uv and heat?
The household bulb doesn't produce UVB. What is the bulb in the long hood? (Brand and information).

littlekiwi

Established Member
The household bulb doesn't produce UVB. What is the bulb in the long hood? (Brand and information).
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - a ten week old female veiled chameleon. from petsmart.
  • Handling - not often as she’s having aggression with me recently.
  • Feeding - i feed her crickets mostly with dubia worms for variety and they are bought from a pet store so i don’t know how they are gut loaded.
  • Supplements - i use a d3 repticalcium supplément once every two weeks.
  • Watering - i mist 2-3 times a day. i see her drinking often.
  • Fecal Description - normal solid feces, white with a bit of yellow urates.
  • History - none.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass and i leave the door open for ventilation.
  • Lighting - my long uvb is a vivarium electronic brand model EDJ24W. not sure about my heat lamp because it’s too hot to look in and check the make and model.
  • Temperature - cage floor is about 75, basking is 80.
  • Humidity - i spray twice a day to maintain humidity and don’t have anything to measure with.
  • Plants - i use golden pothos and a jade plant that i’m growing with a vine and fake vines.
  • Placement - in my room away from traffic and drafts.

Current Problem - Lighting concerns.

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok so the vivarium electronic brand model EDJ24W is a T5HO fixture but what type of long bulb did you get to go in the fixture? This is where a UVB bulb would go. Can you send me the link to what you actually purchased so I can see what they included?

As far the daylight blue bulb it is very similar to a regular incandescent and actually does put out a white light. This would be for basking which is your temperature.

littlekiwi

Established Member
Ok so the vivarium electronic brand model EDJ24W is a T5HO fixture but what type of long bulb did you get to go in the fixture? This is where a UVB bulb would go. Can you send me the link to what you actually purchased so I can see what they included?

As far the daylight blue bulb it is very similar to a regular incandescent and actually does put out a white light. This would be for basking which is your temperature.
got it. and this is the bulb, i don’t have a link.
image.jpg

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
got it. and this is the bulb, i don’t have a link. View attachment 267022
Ok bulb strength on this is way too high for a single bulb fixture. You need either a 6% arcadia or a 5.0 zoo med uvb bulb. If your fixture is a 24 inch then the bulb for it is a 22 inch. Bulbs are 2 inches shorter then the fixture.

IF you use this bulb there has to be a 12 inch drop between where the fixture sits on your cage and the highest point baby can get to or the cham will be over exposed with UVB> Using this you will lose all of your upper area of cage.

When you switch down to either a 5.0 or 6% bulb the distance would be approximately 9 inches for proper UVB exposure.

littlekiwi

Established Member
Ok bulb strength on this is way too high for a single bulb fixture. You need either a 6% arcadia or a 5.0 zoo med uvb bulb. If your fixture is a 24 inch then the bulb for it is a 22 inch. Bulbs are 2 inches shorter then the fixture.

IF you use this bulb there has to be a 12 inch drop between where the fixture sits on your cage and the highest point baby can get to or the cham will be over exposed with UVB> Using this you will lose all of your upper area of cage.

When you switch down to either a 5.0 or 6% bulb the distance would be approximately 9 inches for proper UVB exposure.
so is zoo med a brand you’d recommend?

Top Bottom