light

the 6% 12% 5.0 10.0 are just marketing terms so you know a 12% puts out double the uvb of a 6%, and a 10.0 puts out double the uvb of a 5.0. You still need to know how much the reptile needs. Chams need 30-50µW/cm² or more to be healthy, bearded dragons and iguanas would need 150µW/cm² or more to be healthy.

Hi Night!

You know what you are talking about so I am not going to butt in....
:eek:
too much.
;)
LOL!

Just to clarify:

The way it works (in theory anyway) when talking about 5% , 6% 12% etc...

Is that when looking at the bulbs TOTAL light energy out-put in all wavelengths ...

it is the percentage that falls in the UVB range.

So in other words,

on an Arcadia 6% UV B bulb...

6% of the light emitted is in the UV B range

and

94% of the light is not.
It is comprised of the other wavelengths.

It could be in the visible range and some in the UV A (30%) ("black-light") range... and even a tiny bit as infra red... etc etc

And this is good rule of thumb advice:
Chams need 30-50µW/cm² or more to be healthy, bearded dragons and iguanas would need 150µW/cm² or more to be healthy.

But please remember,
it can ... and SHOULD vary some in a cage, just as it does in Nature --
between shade, partial shade and full sun.
OK.
now I am done butting in.:D
I hope you don't mind.:rolleyes:

Thank you!
Todd

PS.
For your viewing pleasure....:)
Here is some of my ongoing daily testing:

Note:
The readings are without screen --- and at 10 inches.

so they are fairly potent!

Attachments

• tropic blazexxxx.jpg
    tropic blazexxxx.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 79
  • arcadia 6% in double fixture.jpg
    arcadia 6% in double fixture.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 124
  • arcadia 12% in double fixture.jpg
    arcadia 12% in double fixture.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 162
Is that without reflector? An arcadia %6 with reflector was putting out 150uw at 15". You are getting like 48uw at 10".

no problem, I'm happy to be able to compare people with the most experience ... Now I finally understand the missing link! thank you for this .. I could not understand what he meant 5% UVB, now I know!

Now we would need to search to get this data:

lumen clear sky: 25000/30000
lumen with bad weather: ?
lumen morning / noon: ?
lumen late afternoon:?
lumen night: ?
average kelvin clear sky: 5000/6500
average kelvin bad weather:?

obviously these are the basic values ​​with which then rebuild a table, breaking them down further to recreate the correct values ​​for the 3 layers in the cage ...
the value of the UVB will change according to the layer of the cage but will not change according to times and the bad weather, because being the value (50 uW/cm2) the result of scientific calculations likely to bring benefit to our chameleons I think it is correct to leave unchanged the value uVB emission zone and despite the state of the weather, but simply rely on the division into 3 of the cage, taking advantage of the plants we can easily recreate the 3 different gradient for our needs .

ps:with these data i could be able to close the circle! and finally conclude the project of my softwere in order to devote myself fully to the completion of the tables (about 3000) for which it would welcome the final supervision of a biologist and later to devote to programming and integration of algorithms ... if someone was seriously willing to be part of this project I'd be happy .. would halve the time to act compilation of 3000 folders

So...

What are people's opinions on the high output t5's. I just switched all my females to them thinking they would create the optimum environment. I hope I'm not overdoing it..

Back
Top Bottom