Light housing size?

ccclcl

I'm new and one thing I haven't seen clarified is some people seem to put the ubv and white diagonal on the cage top while others put it perpendicular. Does it matter? Do you need more than 24" light to put it perpendicular? Thanks

Hello, I think it is personal preference. My Veiled chameleon is in a Reptibreeze xl and I have his UVB light on top of the cage perpendicular with a double lamp for plant light and basking. I put the UVB on top to cover more space for my plants. My panther chameleon has a zilla large enclosure which is not as tall as the reptibreeze. His UVB is just on top straight across with the basking dome lamp and that's enough coverage. And as far as needing more than 24" I would l think that's based on how wide the enclosure is. I'm no expert but that's my thoughts through research and keeping my own. So far I've never had a problem

Sorry, I meant to specify in the original post that if I'm getting a cage with standard 24x24 top, should I get longer that 24" uvb light if wanting to place it diagonal on the top?

I would also like to know if there is an actual advantage or theory by those that choose to put it diagonally instead of perpendicular.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I meant to specify in the original post that if I'm getting a cage with standard 24x24 top, should I get longer that 24" uvb light if wanting to place it diagonal on the top?
You could, but I don't see any advantage; 24" is appropriate. Not everyone makes a 30", and 36" would overhang the corners.

I would also like to know if there is an actual advantage or theory by those that choose to put it diagonally instead of perpendicular.
I suppose it could be argued, but practically speaking, chameleons absorb the most UVB while basking, and we have control over where the basking site is (under the brightest light).

Back
Top Bottom