light bar question

Craigz90

I've seen a lot of setups running with a UVB light bar and a separate heat bulb in a dome. I currently have the double dome combo. I want to run a UVB light bar.. if thats what you call it. Can anyone share some good options for me for the bar/hood with a good UVB light to go in it? I have a panther chameleon all temps are fine and I'm currently running 5.0 uvb in a double dome with a heat bulb. I have no live plants inside the cage, I am in Louisiana so its got good humidity already.

22" T-5 HO Fixture *High Output* with ARCADIA D3 6% HO Bulb

is what i've found and seems the way to go
Awesome yes that would work great. you will notice the difference with Todds lights (lightyourreptiles.com) they are amazing and i know you will think so to because i was amazed when i switched to his lights.

OK a the UVB domes aren't any good the best linear UVB lights come from lightyourreptiles.com you can find a great one on there.

This is not true. To just say that UVB domes are not good is false. Many people have successfully raise animals with dome UVB. I will agree that linear (stick) UVB has several advantages, and are more versitile, but you still can't say dome lights are crap. You also don't have to buy expensive light fixtures to have a good quality. light. As long as the fixture can output the proper voltage and supply the proper current required by the lamp, then it doesn't matter if the fixture cost $25 or $100. When it comes to stick bulbs, Arcadia is a good brand. So is Reptisun. The forum will recommend what the breeders and those who are considered the best keepers do - and they mostly recommend Arcadia. However, anyone considering either brand should consider their enclosure and layout before just buying the expensive bulb because someone on a forum claims it's the best. For every person who does it the expensive way, there are just as many success stories on those doing it on the cheap. Some find a middle ground and go with that. I tend to find what works for me, regardless of the price. I use Reptisun sticks.

This is not true. To just say that UVB domes are not good is false. Many people have successfully raise animals with dome UVB. I will agree that linear (stick) UVB has several advantages, and are more versitile, but you still can't say dome lights are crap. You also don't have to buy expensive light fixtures to have a good quality. light. As long as the fixture can output the proper voltage and supply the proper current required by the lamp, then it doesn't matter if the fixture cost $25 or $100. When it comes to stick bulbs, Arcadia is a good brand. So is Reptisun. The forum will recommend what the breeders and those who are considered the best keepers do - and they mostly recommend Arcadia. However, anyone considering either brand should consider their enclosure and layout before just buying the expensive bulb because someone on a forum claims it's the best. For every person who does it the expensive way, there are just as many success stories on those doing it on the cheap. Some find a middle ground and go with that. I tend to find what works for me, regardless of the price. I use Reptisun sticks.
Yes but i have found that the amount of UVB they put out is not consistent and its better to have something that you know will work. unless you have a solar meter and can check it constantly to make sure it is working right then linear bulbs are they way to go.

Yes but i have found that the amount of UVB they put out is not consistent and its better to have something that you know will work. unless you have a solar meter and can check it constantly to make sure it is working right then linear bulbs are they way to go.

Point well taken, I assume you have a solar meter? It is also possible that based on a particular setup (plants, species , terrarium etc.) that the Arcadia bulb could be too much. It would be great if a reliable solar meter could be had that was not expensive. ;)

Point well taken, I assume you have a solar meter? It is also possible that based on a particular setup (plants, species , terrarium etc.) that the Arcadia bulb could be too much. It would be great if a reliable solar meter could be had that was not expensive. ;)
Yes i do and yes they are expensive which sucks because most people can't get them. And yes some setups it would be too much however with the ones I build they are very necessary due to all the plants and foliage I have

Attachments

• 17362452_10210557327824361_264257816464881858_n.jpg
    17362452_10210557327824361_264257816464881858_n.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 130
Yes i do and yes they are expensive which sucks because most people can't get them. And yes some setups it would be too much however with the ones I build they are very necessary due to all the plants and foliage I have

I read the thread with those pictures. Great idea of using the aviary for an enclosure. (y)

In my case and in many others with not-so-fancy setups, I would be concerned about too much UVB. I will admit I have not read up on them like I want to (seems like the consumer specs Arcadia gives are in a different format than the spec given my Reptisun. 5.0 vs 6? etc.)

I read a thread that had some test results that showed the average penetration the UVB actually has. I need to revisit this and get a better educated guess. But if the recommended dosage for a Cham of UVB penetration is within' 12-18" and both can do this (again based on terrarium setup) I see no reason to chose one brand over another. Unless someone can prove issues with one such as consistency, longevity etc. that would make the more expensive option viable, then I will usually choose what I can get my hands on easier. Its like saying a Dragon Strand cage is better than a DIY cage. It might be, but both will service your Cham well.

yes they are because they just don't work the same i have found out i have a whole pile of reptisun bulbs and fixtures i need to sell because i upgraded to better lights on all my cages while back ago. I agree about the cages it is basically the same but the lights i would say are way different from one to another. And the funny thing is you can see the difference. Todd's lights (lightyourreptiles.com) are amazing when i switched from the Reptisun to his lights I said Holy S*** it looked way more like the actual sun while the Reptisun has more of a cloudy day look to it. Which i have noticed it makes the chameleons more active and honestly healthier in my opinion.
I read the thread with those pictures. Great idea of using the aviary for an enclosure. (y)

In my case and in many others with not-so-fancy setups, I would be concerned about too much UVB. I will admit I have not read up on them like I want to (seems like the consumer specs Arcadia gives are in a different format than the spec given my Reptisun. 5.0 vs 6? etc.)

I read a thread that had some test results that showed the average penetration the UVB actually has. I need to revisit this and get a better educated guess. But if the recommended dosage for a Cham of UVB penetration is within' 12-18" and both can do this (again based on terrarium setup) I see no reason to chose one brand over another. Unless someone can prove issues with one such as consistency, longevity etc. that would make the more expensive option viable, then I will usually choose what I can get my hands on easier. Its like saying a Dragon Strand cage is better than a DIY cage. It might be, but both will service your Cham well.

@ dragon1516 I hear you, but I'm old. :rolleyes: It takes more than a few opinions on a forum to change mine. Even then, as an engineer, I need to track it, log it, create a spread sheet and calculate the value. Only then can I make a decision. :confused: It's my OCD.

I can't buy toilet paper without going thru and calculating the square footage and finding the best value per square foot, then factor a in a "softness" factor number to add to get an overall score.....seriously. :eek:

My wife, in contrast, will buy a can of soda for $7 to save the extra 10 minutes in line at the grocery store to only pay $1. :cautious:

@ dragon1516 I hear you, but I'm old. :rolleyes: It takes more than a few opinions on a forum to change mine. Even then, as an engineer, I need to track it, log it, create a spread sheet and calculate the value. Only then can I make a decision. :confused: It's my OCD.

I can't buy toilet paper without going thru and calculating the square footage and finding the best value per square foot, then factor a in a "softness" factor number to add to get an overall score.....seriously. :eek:

My wife, in contrast, will buy a can of soda for $7 to save the extra 10 minutes in line at the grocery store to only pay $1. :cautious:
Lol ya that is how mine is to. And Thats funny. I was told about Todds lights and i went for it. Honestly I'm really glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom