Life without a heat lamp

RuNoah

Amigos, one question that seems a bit controversial IMHO to me regarding "climate equipment" is whether I should provide a heat lamp for my parsonii. Now she's kept inside basically at room temp (around 68), summer will bring that up into higher 70s. Would you consider that appropriate?
I know (?) that parsonii are colder beasts, but how cold-warm is it really?
No thread without a pic :) 20191109_210220.jpg

Seems you have the temps down i would still direct a Lower wattage heat lamp thru the top from center outwards creating a warmer basking spot in the upper crease or corner of the terrarium assuming it's a screen enclosure just incase the beautiful girl gets a chill. It can be difficult to keep cool temps in summer do you use a cool mist humidifier? I know 80 is higher on their tolerances they really do thrive in the 60-65° range.

Last edited:
I have kept Parson's outside from Spring to Fall and as long as they can be kept cool with a good misting system and have a well planted enclosure they can tolerate temperatures around 31-35 °C (88-95 °F) and lows around 8-12 °C (46-55 °F). -From one extreme to another I wouldn't recommend pushing to these extremes but balanced in the middle.

Ok, thanks. So you think those levels are too low... is 'getting a chill' a condition or is it more about "slow-down mode" in terms of metabolism?
I'll try to measure up there in her usual "parking area" to get a better ideas how it really measures. She's around a foot distance from both lights (LEDs - not much heat at all) and UVB (Arcadia t5ho 39w).
I'm both misting and fogging when the lights are off - so summer temps are not too clear for me, ambient will be at around 80 inside the house though no airco.

Ok, thanks. So you think those levels are too low... is 'getting a chill' a condition or is it more about "slow-down mode" in terms of metabolism?
I'll try to measure up there in her usual "parking area" to get a better ideas how it really measures. She's around a foot distance from both lights (LEDs - not much heat at all) and UVB (Arcadia t5ho 39w).
I'm both misting and fogging when the lights are off - so summer temps are not too clear for me, ambient will be at around 80 inside the house though no airco.
Night time drops are good for the slowing down of metabolism. During the day they need to thermoregulate to optimum temperature. 1 ft distance might be too far away from a basking bulb unless it's a huge cage with a 100w bulb I usually set the closest basking branch 6-8in away from the top of the cage but I always have my bulb 2 inches off the top just incase my chams feel like hanging upside down directly under the bulb. I supply my chams with various distances to bask from 6-8in away then 8-10 so on so forth this can be easily done with several branches or just one very leggy one giving them several angles and distances to find that perfect temp.

Overall her place (4hx4wx3d) looks like this. I would'nt say it's heavily planted as the plants are still to grow to fill the upper part of the enclosure.View attachment 251388
I think shes perfectly happy but your enclosure is large enough that you could run a 25w or 50w up in one corner with a few branches going up to it and see if she like it. You'll know if she does she'll be rite up there as close as she can :)

Well, yeah, that's the thing: she'll be hanging out around that heated spot because it'd feel better :)

My Parsons regularly sees 40-50 degree temps during winter and mid 90s during summer. Does well through both. He doesn't bask all that much even though I offer him one for a few hours a day. During the winter he seems to want to brumate unless I really keep him out with consistent high temperatures. I've gone without a basking most of the time and usually just raise the temp with a space heater. My guy is kept outside all summer and part of spring and fall.

I have talked to people who have actually visited where they are found. Very hot and humid, like you'd imagine a rainforest in the summer and drops into even the 30s at times during the winter. I bring my boy in when temps consistently go below 50 though and he does see brumation which not everyone does. Their natural temps/humidity are very similar to the northeast climate short of our regularly freezing winters.

Back
Top Bottom