Heat tolerance in Calumma parsonii

Extensionofgreen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Greetings all.
From my research, many of the most successful keepers and breeders house their parsonii outdoors, when weather permits. Where I live, temperatures that are reliably warm also coincide with temperatures that are too hot for montane species, without careful consideration. I have heard several reports of Orange Eye parsons surviving temperatures in the 90sF without a problem, with ample water and shade. I've also noted that most sources indicate that Yellow Lip parsonii are from areas higher in elevation and would be less heat tolerant. Due to the lack of Yellow Lip parsons in long term captivity, there is very limited information regarding the safe limits for them.
If anyone has information regarding watering schedules, temperature tolerances, and outdoor care for parsons, especially Yellow Lips, I would be eager to hear about your experiences.
I am planning on housing my Yellow Lip outdoors, where Summer temps can reach the 90sF and even the triple digits on occasion. I live in a wooded area with a slightly cooler micro climate and plenty of shade, but anticipate, in addition to providing 30% shading via shade cloth, interior foliage, and placement in a shaded location, that I will be watering every 1 1/2 hours for 30mins, when temps exceed 85F ambient.
Any advice?

Those are good questions! Last summer my temps got to the mid 90's for about 3 weeks in a row. My OE were fine. This year I am building them a temperature controlled room of their own indoors for those hot days!

They can always come back inside to their indoor enclosure. I have to keep that running with or without them to keep the plants alive. I just don't want any unfortunate surprises or undue stress on my sweet angels.

Back
Top Bottom