Lets see your dart frogs!

Theveiled

Avid Member
I have found that many people who keep chameleons also keep dart frogs. This is my little leuc, I've had it for about 6 months, about 8 months oow in total. Not completely sure about gender yet. At first I was a little unsure about keeping a strictly view only animal, but I soon got sucked into the hobby as well! He (I am just assuming) came from josh's frogs and is a kahn line leuc. He went through a stage where no matter how much I fed him, he always looked really skinny but finally is starting to gain the pudgy leuc look!

Attachments

• 20190106_103918.jpg
    20190106_103918.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 162
Curious to know if you have experienced die off of plants in your frog enclosure?? Possibly from feces

Curious to know if you have experienced die off of plants in your frog enclosure?? Possibly from feces
not personally, although this is my 3rd or 4th attempt at replanting/redoing this tank. never was able to get plants to really grow but i finally made my own substrate mix and this time round all my plants are thriving. i also only have this one frog in a 18x18x24 exo terra so not sure theres really that much poop.

A fellow orchid grower had a red poison frog and said somehow it killed some mini pleurothallids, and mini dendrobiums

Most orchids from what ive seen are kept on plugs of spahgnum and pinned to backgrounds or cork bark so unless your planting them in substrate i dont see how a frog could have much impact. Its more than likely an over watering problem or something of the like. I doubt it has to do with the frogs.

He said his frog would perch on a pleurothalid, he is a veteran orchid grower and has a masters in biology, could be coincidence...? Maybe a frog producing fungi.. not sure.. if you don't have any die off could just be his viv. harboring some sort sort of bacteria

If its a mico orchid then a frog perching on it could possibly have some ill effect i suppose. They are delicate. My frog perches on a lot of plants and ive had no issues.

I keep him in an exo terra with the top sealed try and keep RH over 70. I have an led and plant bulb on the tank. Temp stays btwn 68-76F mist him heavily twice a day try and keep bromeliad full of water he likes to sit in there especially if humidity gets to below 70. I feed melanogaster and hydei fruit flys, bean beetles and pin head crickets. Mostly fruit flys though. Try and gut load with fresh fruit.

they're stunning!!!
Thanks a lot. :) They're pretty addictive, just like chameleons I'm guessing lol.

None of mine have bred yet, but I do have a few pairs so hopefully at some point. Dart frogs eat fruit flies (the vast majority of their diet), springtails, isopods, rice flour beetle larvae etc. Really small food. Some people feed them tiny crickets as well, I think. I don't think they eat spiders and centipedes. Maybe they do in the rain forest? Not really sure. I know they can eat ants.

Back
Top Bottom