Lethargic Veiled Chameleon

Ssboorad

Hi,

I am having some issues with a female veiled chameleon.

She is approx. 8 months old.

About two weeks ago she had surgery as she had become egg bound (due to my lack of calcium supplements and no ground for her to bury). Since returning from the vets she has still not chosen to eat.

The set up is a mesh cage 900mmx900mmx450mm. She has live plants and plenty of climbing options.

Heat is provided day and night, a heat bulb to approx. 31 degrees by day and ceramic heat bulb (no light) to around 27 at night - as the cage is large she has the option of moving away from the heat.

UV bulbs are approx. 6 months old

Until recently she was eating crickets and locusts (locusts being the favourite) water is supplied through misting and a drip system which runs several times a day for half an hour or so.

I am putting her in the shower once a week (obviously just the steam, not under the actual water) and letting her sit in a shallow bath of warm water once a week.

The vet has given me food to be given orally - emeraid. An oral anti inflammatory - metacam. oral calcium - zolcal. Which are all provided by syringe. I am also injecting 'amikacin sulfate' every 3 days.

Since the surgeryshe is acting very lethargic and despite the fact I see her drinking appears dehydrated (looking at her sunken and droopy eyes). I would say she is looking worse day by day rather than better.

I took her for a post op where the vet seemed happy with how she was recovering and the fact the although she hadn't gained, she also hadn't lost weight.

I'm not too convinced and I'm not too sure all the back and forward to the vets is helping her stress.

I could really do with some expert opinions please.

Your vet probably knows best..

Although I would wait for a more senior member to respond also, I think the fact she is being supplemented through direct feeding and she has not lost or gained weight is a indication that she is recovering.

What does her poo look like?

I would ask the vet when he/she considers it a good idea to remove her feed, and replace with live food again.

My suspicion is she will require another two to three weeks of your IC, then will start to return to wanting to hunt.

But as I say wait for a more senior member to answer as well :) they will :)

Thank you for your support, I guess you spend so much time caring for them that you become more attached than you'd realise!

Back
Top Bottom