Lethargic Female Panther; oral lesion

Sorry to hear about Lilly, How is she today?

Thanks for checking up on us! :)

Lily seemed pretty sore this morning post-debridement, and really didnt want to put up with my nonsense. She took her meds fairly well, though I worry that she'll start locking her jaw on me before long! She had a pretty negative reaction to the bitter taste of baytril, so I'm trying to think of something to cut it with to make it less awful for her. Maybe a daub of honey on the syringe or something? With my birds, I have to cut baytril 50/50 with unsweetened apple juice or they'll just spit it out!

After her meds I cleaned up her mouth, applied her silver sulphadiazine, and administered her eye ointment before putting her back and giving her a good drink. She's not pleased with me, but hopefully she'll be on the mend soon! I'm currently out of the house, but will check on her as soon as I get home and see how she's doing.

Lily is depressed and not moving around and her eyes are closed until I rouse her. But I did manage to get some food into her so I'm hoping she'll perk up some more soon! Small victories.

Inflammation is down some more, too:

Lily definitely seems more comfortable with the Metacam and steroidal eye ointment on board, and has been slowly perking up. She's drinking like crazy but still seems a tad dehydrated (loose skin on her sides), so I'll pick her up some hornworms and see if that helps!

She's such a good little trooper... I fully expected her to be very difficult with her meds, but even only a few days in she has proven to be very cooperative! It takes very little coaxing to remove her from her enclosure for her morning meds, and Lily opens her mouth with very little prompting. I love easy patients! :love:

Seance seeing this I have been crushing the worms heads with my feeding tongs before I give them to my girl. She could care less because there still moving and no danger of a bite because the worms head is smashed.

Bill

Seance seeing this I have been crushing the worms heads with my feeding tongs before I give them to my girl. She could care less because there still moving and no danger of a bite because the worms head is smashed.

Bill

That's what I like to hear! The primary reason I posted was to hopefully help someone down the line. :)

Normally I don't believe bites would pose too much of a threat, but when you have a girl like Lily with aiming problems who isn't at 100% in the first place and mix in a bunch of environmental stress factors... that's a recipe for disaster!

Thankfully, it looks like Lily will recover. One or both of us is a tad dramatic, haha!

Today marks a week of treatment, and Lily's looking noticeably better. Her appetite tanked on Friday and I found her seemingly choking on mucus at one point (I thought I was going to lose her for a hot second; quickly opened her mouth and cleared her airways/put her nose down to drain), but she's on the up and up now! Very little remaining swelling, and her finicky eye seems much more comfortable. While still pretty lethargic, she perks up after misting and looks almost "normal" for awhile. Her appetite is making a comeback, and though her aim is absolutely atrocious I've been able to sneak a morsel in here and there. It's a bit tricky, cause she gets very defensive if a feeder actually touches her lips! Gotta time it just right and slip it in there. Brat!

I was initially directed to put her on a 10 day course of Baytril, but the vet said she may extend it depending on how Lily's doing. I'll email her an update with pictures, and see if we need to bring her in again/alter her meds at all. I'd like to avoid the 3 hour round trip if I can!

Not out of the woods yet, but showing some small improvements! Lily takes ages to get going in the morning, but she's usually perkier in the afternoon. I'm still finding her in worrying states (laying on a branch, eyes closed, one or more limbs hanging, dark muddy colors), but she's been a bit more like herself. I got a good hiss and salute today, and she's getting more difficult to medicate. I'm hoping that's a good sign!

Bad side:

Good side:

Getting a bit more active and patrolling her cage:

Are her eyes swollen or is it just the photo?

I think it's just the photo? She had been cleaning her eyes beforehand, and her eyes always look a little funny when she's side eyeing me like that. I'll try to remember to snap a picture in the morning!

Re: her bad eye (right), the lid has always been slightly misshapen and almost thickened. Vet's not 100% sure what's up with it!

Glad to know it's just the photo.
Hope she's continuing to improve!

I'm hoping so too! I really enjoy this little lady, and I'm very upset with myself for not catching this earlier. Got a little too caught up in my studies and let the automated misting make me lazy - I usually spend my hand misting sessions observing her!

She does have strangely shaped eyes now that you say it, your doing a great job with her! Small bits of progress are hard fought for with these critters...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom