Lethargic Chameleon...

Tapp

My Chameleon is acting instantly weird, he was fine the other day even monkeying around by his tail but all a sudden is always on the bottom of the cage and cannot seem to control his limbs or climb. He tries moving and its just really pitiful :( his limbs just shake everywhere. He still eats and poops while down there but just cant control his arms and legs. I know all the basic questions will be.. What light cage temp humidity etc... But hes been fine for the last 4 months and this came outta nowhere. Its around 50-80% humidity 80-85 degrees during the day 70ish at night. Mesh cage plenty of good UV lighting and twice a day sprayings. He eats crickets, silk works, meal worms, and wax worms. Very few meal and wax worms are given to him. Any idea what might be causing this? He still eats and stuff just cant control his movements?

were you dusting his food? sounds like MBD to me. usually this is because of lack of calcium in the bones and his bones become brittle and weak. I doubt he is lethargic, but I would get him to a vet, because they can inject calcium and other minerals to slow down the disease.

ya i dust them with calcium but that is also what i was thinking, im trying to post a pic of him

yup you have to alternate between d3 and no d3 (regular calcium). do you have a uvb fixture as well? 5.0 is the best to get, preferably reptisun.

pic of stanley, what are his chance with the bone issue? any idea? this sucks..

Attachments

• Stanley sick.jpg
    Stanley sick.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 564
My Chameleon is acting instantly weird, he was fine the other day even monkeying around by his tail but all a sudden is always on the bottom of the cage and cannot seem to control his limbs or climb. He tries moving and its just really pitiful :( his limbs just shake everywhere. He still eats and poops while down there but just cant control his arms and legs. I know all the basic questions will be.. What light cage temp humidity etc... But hes been fine for the last 4 months and this came outta nowhere. Its around 50-80% humidity 80-85 degrees during the day 70ish at night. Mesh cage plenty of good UV lighting and twice a day sprayings. He eats crickets, silk works, meal worms, and wax worms. Very few meal and wax worms are given to him. Any idea what might be causing this? He still eats and stuff just cant control his movements?

Chances are this isn't a sudden problem, but one that hit a threshold he can no longer hide. What brand of UV light? What were you dusting with and how often? Just calcium? With D3 or without? What about herp vitamins? What were you gutloading the feeders with? You can overdose calcium and vitamins too, so the frequency and specific products are important. His legs look bowed and bent to me, and along with your description he has either MBD or a major overdose of something.

He looks to have MBD to me and even his jaw does not close properly. You need to fill out that form. How old is your lighting? What kind of UVB? What are your supplements, gutload, etc. All important!! MBD does not happen over night.

the lighting is 2 months old, its a reptisun i think 5.0. the crickets gut load on carrots and i dust em 3 times a week. his mouth was open cause he was hissing at the camera lol. normally its closed and fine

Fill out the form so we can get the whole picture of your setup. Your cham has MBD(Metabolic Bone Disease) he is going to need to be seen by a vet and get calcium injections. Dusting three times a week with what? Please fill out the form.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, 5-7 months old maybe, had for 4 months
Handling - never
Feeding - crickets, mealworms rarely, wax worms rarely, silk worms 6 to 8 a day dusted 3 days a week, loaded with carrots
Supplements - flunkers d3
Watering - 2 mist a day plus ice cubes to drip
Fecal Description - normal black with white not yellow
History - always was happy and active

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen 48 by 48in
Lighting - reptisun 5.0 i think and he has a heat lamp during the winter
Temperature - 80-85 during the day 70 at night
Humidity - 50-85% from sprayings, ice cubes, and dripper
Plants - Fake plants and vines
Placement - Dining room, quiet area 5 ft above the floor no fans
Location - Flint, MI

Jann is right about the vet. You have been dusting too much with the D3. you have never used a plain calcium without d3. that is what you should be dusting with at every feedinig. You should be using a multivitamin a couple of times a month along with the d3. Your gutload is not sufficient enough. Carrots are good but there are tons of other vegetables and fruits you could use. Dark leafy greens such as kale, collard greens, mustard greens, oranges, apples etc. We need to know what light you are using for UVB? You cannot just "think" it is a reptisun. Is it a compact or tube? No basking light of any kind? Not just for winter

Awwww... well crud thought guess i screwed this up, ill try to find a reptile vet near by asap. anything i can do in the mean time?

Back
Top Bottom