lethargic cham

Edward885

Hello, I am a new owner of chams, I've had mine for about a month. The pet store I got him from had him for about 3 months. i noticed this morning that he was very lethargic. walking around without lifting his body, and laying in his basking spot without holding on with his left legs. I worry that he hasn't gotten enough calcium but I've also gone through a few changes in the last few days, (rearranged cage and planted tree, loss of heating bulb replaced today, potentially up all night. ) i watched him most of the day he ate some mealworms today about 8. yesterday he seemed to be moving around okay but i want home much to see. before that, he was acting fairly normal. he seemed much better tonight than he was this morning.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male, Vailed Cham
  • Handling - only once to plant a tree in his cage.
  • Feeding - I feed my cham a mix of gut-loaded crickets, large mealworms, and silkworms as a treat. I usually alternate between worms and crickets and feed him in the mornings. Ill put enough into the cage that he ussaly leaves a few to snak on while I'm not home. I gut load the crickets with a vitamin supplement or whatever fruit I have in the house.
  • Supplements - I've dusted with repi calcium, but no D3, I just stared with D3 today. I also plan on dusting daily instead of every other day.
  • Watering - I have an auto mister that mists every hour for 1 minute. the fica I have in the cage is almost always wet. and I have it off at night
  • Fecal Description - droppings look normal light to dark brown no noticeable undigested bits with regular movements. untested
  • History - hes currently going through puberty and just recently shed. my basking bulb broke on me two days ago and had a low power bulb for that time. temp around 65-70 :( fixed that today. he also might have been kept up last night from my roommate having a party until the crack of dawn.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen, 1.5 feet by 2.5 feet.
  • Lighting - two bulbs both UVB and basking bulb lights on around 9am of around 10pm.
  • Temperature - basking spots range from 95 - 80 - 75 - 65 on the floor of the cage. overnight no lower than 60
  • Humidity - no humidity measurements but the cage is under constant spry.
  • Plants - 1 live plant brand new, ficus tree
  • Placement - cage is not near windows or vents, sometimes can be high traffic but most days is left alone. top of the cage is about 6 feet off the ground.
  • Location - Raleigh North Carolina.

Attachments

• bascing spot.jpg
    bascing spot.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Cage.jpg
    Cage.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Chameye.jpg
    Chameye.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ChamStool.jpg
    ChamStool.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 84
  • morningtimebasking.jpg
    morningtimebasking.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 83
  • Nighttimeupdateandsleepingspot.jpg
    Nighttimeupdateandsleepingspot.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 91
  • sleepingspotnighttime.jpg
    sleepingspotnighttime.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 82
Hello, I am a new owner of chams, I've had mine for about a month. The pet store I got him from had him for about 3 months. i noticed this morning that he was very lethargic. walking around without lifting his body, and laying in his basking spot without holding on with his left legs. I worry that he hasn't gotten enough calcium but I've also gone through a few changes in the last few days, (rearranged cage and planted tree, loss of heating bulb replaced today, potentially up all night. ) i watched him most of the day he ate some mealworms today about 8. yesterday he seemed to be moving around okay but i want home much to see. before that, he was acting fairly normal. he seemed much better tonight than he was this morning.

I WOULD QUIT FEEDING YOUR CHAMELEON MEALWORMS. THEY CAN BE HARD TO DIGEST...BETTER TO USE CRICKETS, SILKWORMS, LOCUSTS, ROACHES, BSFL, ETC.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male, Vailed Cham
  • Handling - only once to plant a tree in his cage.
  • Feeding - I feed my cham a mix of gut-loaded crickets, large mealworms, and silkworms as a treat. I usually alternate between worms and crickets and feed him in the mornings. Ill put enough into the cage that he ussaly leaves a few to snak on while I'm not home. I gut load the crickets with a vitamin supplement or whatever fruit I have in the house. I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU FEED/GUTLOAD THE INSECTS WITH DANDELION GREENS, COLLARDS, ENDIVE, ESCAROLE, MUSTARD GREENS, KALE, CARROTS, SQUASH, SWEET POTATO, SWEET RED PEPPERS, ZUCCHINI, AND A SMALL AMOUNT OF FRUIT SUCH AS APPLES, PEARS, MELON, BERRIES.
  • Supplements - I've dusted with repi calcium, but no D3, I just stared with D3 today. I also plan on dusting daily instead of every other day. I RECOMMEND DUSTING LIGHTLY AT ALMOST EVERY FEEDING WITH A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER AND TWICE A MONTH WITH A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER LIGHTLY AND TWICE A MONTHNWITH A VITAMIN POWDER THAT CONTAINS A BETA CAROTENE SOURCE OF VITAMIN A.
  • Watering - I have an auto mister that mists every hour for 1 minute. the fica I have in the cage is almost always wet. and I have it off at night I WOULD ADD A DRIPPER.
  • Fecal Description - droppings look normal light to dark brown no noticeable undigested bits with regular movements. untested
  • History - hes currently going through puberty and just recently shed. my basking bulb broke on me two days ago and had a low power bulb for that time. temp around 65-70 :( fixed that today. he also might have been kept up last night from my roommate having a party until the crack of dawn.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen, 1.5 feet by 2.5 feet.A BIGGER CAGE IS RECOMMENDED.
  • Lighting - two bulbs both UVB and basking bulb lights on around 9am of around 10pm. WHAT UVB LIGHT ARE YOU USING?
  • Temperature - basking spots range from 95 - 80 - 75 - 65 on the floor of the cage. overnight no lower than 60
  • Humidity - no humidity measurements but the cage is under constant spry.
  • Plants - 1 live plant brand new, ficus tree
  • Placement - cage is not near windows or vents, sometimes can be high traffic but most days is left alone. top of the cage is about 6 feet off the ground.
  • Location - Raleigh North Carolina.

I ANSWERED IN CAPITOL LETTERS
I DONT KNOW HOW I MISSED THIS POST FOR SO LONG....BUT IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DID TOO.

I ANSWERED IN CAPITOL LETTERS
I DONT KNOW HOW I MISSED THIS POST FOR SO LONG....BUT IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DID TOO.
looks like he was impacted, he hadn't eaten in a few days but i got him to pass the stool. i took him to the vet and he's very weak they gave him vitamin shots and some medication to take as well as a liquid meal for him to eat until he gets his appetite back. hes already been back to moving around a little more and the vet said he should be back to his normal self within a week.

Glad your cham pooped and is ok. You should really get rid of the wood chip substrate as he can accidentally ingest it and get obstructed. Bare floor is best (unless bioactive).

Back
Top Bottom