Less active

Well, in issue 73 of African Herp News two herpers found a Chamaeleo dilepis (Flap-necked Chameleon) spending a dormancy period in dried elephant dung. So there is a good business opportunity for anyone wanting to provide unique chameleon cage decorations.
I haven't done much with providing dormancy for larger species, but I would suggest a thick leaf layer and a pile of wood that has spaces that the chameleon can fit their body in. Of course, make sure it won't collapse. They hide in cervices in trees or under rocks or bury themselves in the ground. Which one your chameleon will choose is unknown.
But I do have to restate that I have not kept this species or overwintered one and so what I am sharing here is just based off what I have read that they do in the wild combined with what other species

Al I can say is make sure it has access to water and food and try to provide some options like hollows of trees, leaf litter, piles of stones or spaces between or under rocks, or simply in any ground cavity.

I live in Canada and have brumated them before...but not in as deep of a brumation as they might have in Morocco...and they seem to figure it out if given options.

Look how well these ones are hidden...
https://pfeil-verlag.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/spix39_2_17.pdf
Thank you so much that was really helpful

Tha
Well, in issue 73 of African Herp News two herpers found a Chamaeleo dilepis (Flap-necked Chameleon) spending a dormancy period in dried elephant dung. So there is a good business opportunity for anyone wanting to provide unique chameleon cage decorations.
I haven't done much with providing dormancy for larger species, but I would suggest a thick leaf layer and a pile of wood that has spaces that the chameleon can fit their body in. Of course, make sure it won't collapse. They hide in cervices in trees or under rocks or bury themselves in the ground. Which one your chameleon will choose is unknown.
But I do have to restate that I have not kept this species or overwintered one and so what I am sharing here is just based off what I have read that they do in the wild combined with what other species dThank
But I do have to restate that I have not kept this species or overwintered one and so what I am sharing here is just based off what I have read that they do in the wild combined with what other species do.
Thank you for your helpful information

Back
Top Bottom