Less active

Oumaema

Hello,
I have a Mediterranean chameleon, he is outside where there are plenty of shadows and can get direct sun as well, since he is in his environment i prefered to keep it natural, but these two days i noticed that he is less active, he eats well but he doesn't move as he used to, he used to explore the surrounding but now he stays on his spot the whole day or just move few inches and then he goes back, i am afraid it's a health issue or just the change of seasons and also he looks dehydrated he has a dripper but he drinks from it i guess each two, 3 days, i ve never seen him licking any drops, i mist twice once in morning and once at night.

He used to eat 7 flies a day and 2 crickets lately he eats 4flies and 2 crickets a day is that enough?
I don't use any suppliments since they are not available in my country and can't order them online

Is this one that you caught? Is it native to where you live? If you can post some pics that would be helpful for those that know about these chameleons.

@DeremensisBlue could you offer feedback on this?

Hello,
I have a Mediterranean chameleon, he is outside where there are plenty of shadows and can get direct sun as well, since he is in his environment i prefered to keep it natural, but these two days i noticed that he is less active, he eats well but he doesn't move as he used to, he used to explore the surrounding but now he stays on his spot the whole day or just move few inches and then he goes back, i am afraid it's a health issue or just the change of seasons and also he looks dehydrated he has a dripper but he drinks from it i guess each two, 3 days, i ve never seen him licking any drops, i mist twice once in morning and once at night.
While it could be a health issue, you are also dealing with a species that does hide for protection over the winter. So it could very well be preparing for the cold months. I do not have personal experience with this species so I won't be able to be of much more help other than to say that my Bradypodion from South Africa will hide in the leave litter or under pots when my Southern California winter comes. This is what they do in South Africa and I give them enough places to find where they would like to spend the colder months. My area doesn't get as cold as it does in South Africa, but it is cold enough to trigger this behavior.

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_151438_690.jpg
    IMG_20221011_151438_690.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20221012_153247_903.jpg
    IMG_20221012_153247_903.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 43
While it could be a health issue, you are also dealing with a species that does hide for protection over the winter. So it could very well be preparing for the cold months. I do not have personal experience with this species so I won't be able to be of much more help other than to say that my Bradypodion from South Africa will hide in the leave litter or under pots when my Southern California winter comes. This is what they do in South Africa and I give them enough places to find where they would like to spend the colder months. My area doesn't get as cold as it does in South Africa, but it is cold enough to trigger this behavior.
Please can you share with me some pictures of places that help him hibernate so i can afford my cham more good spaces for him

Please can you share with me some pictures of places that help him hibernate so i can afford my cham more good spaces for him
Well, in issue 73 of African Herp News two herpers found a Chamaeleo dilepis (Flap-necked Chameleon) spending a dormancy period in dried elephant dung. So there is a good business opportunity for anyone wanting to provide unique chameleon cage decorations.
I haven't done much with providing dormancy for larger species, but I would suggest a thick leaf layer and a pile of wood that has spaces that the chameleon can fit their body in. Of course, make sure it won't collapse. They hide in cervices in trees or under rocks or bury themselves in the ground. Which one your chameleon will choose is unknown.
But I do have to restate that I have not kept this species or overwintered one and so what I am sharing here is just based off what I have read that they do in the wild combined with what other species do.

Yes i reqd the article, thank you, and I guess he is getting ready for hibernation, but is there anything i can do for him during this period?
Al I can say is make sure it has access to water and food and try to provide some options like hollows of trees, leaf litter, piles of stones or spaces between or under rocks, or simply in any ground cavity.

I live in Canada and have brumated them before...but not in as deep of a brumation as they might have in Morocco...and they seem to figure it out if given options.

Look how well these ones are hidden...
https://pfeil-verlag.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/spix39_2_17.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom