Left with no words..

lan_norman704

What a way to wake up this morning. I found Jeffrey dead this morning at the bottom of his cage. It was a complete surprise. He was completely fine. Eating, drinking, roaming, showing great colors, absolutely no signs of MBD, and very active. Although the other day, I had gotten water in his right eye while giving him water. He started rolling it around and the last couple of days its been a little swollen. My friend who raises chams said the same thing happened to his panther and that it'll be fine just buy some saline solution and put just a few drops in and let him heal on his own. So I did about two drops about 4 days ago and he's been fine. He pretty much just kept that eye closed. The last couple of days he hasnt had much of an appetite. And he was pooing fine, but last night when i cleaned it up, his poo had a full pheonix worm and the urate was sorta runny. His eye had a black spot on it last night that came out of nowhere but I thought if it wasn't better in a few days I would take him to my friend this weekend. But I woke up and he was gone. I feel so lost I don't know what I did wrong. I'm afraid that maybe he had injested a little of the saline solution. That was a big mistake. I feel horrible. I almost didn't come to work this morning because I cried so much. He was just fine until yesterday and he started acting funny. I just can't get the image out of my head of seeing him laying there dead in his cage. I had a nice cage set up with a live pothos plant, 5.0 Reptiglo, 65 wt, basking temp 95, night temp 70, watered 6 times a day, crix with calcium dusk, pheonix worms, and mealworms. If anyone has any words to bring some comfort, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Sometimes you can do everything right and things still can go wrong. I would review and when you have the hart try again.

Jeffrey was 5+ years old? Is that right?
It may have just been his time. There are Veileds that live longer in captivity, but 5 years is a respectable age ... Unfortunately they don't live forever.
I'm sorry you found him that way this morning, but it sounds like he went pretty fast ... no suffering, no horrible disease or condition.
In that respect he was a very lucky guy.
Take Care and take comfort in knowing that you didn't do anything wrong. Water in his eye is not responsible for this.

-Brad

If he was 5, you did a great job with him. I would imagine that most well kept chameleons would not make it much past that, and most don't even get close. I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy.

Hmmmm-I guess we have to keep in perspective that anything that has large numbers of babies generally have a high juvenile mortality rate, and sometimes we just don't know what goes wrong.

Don't worry about the saline. It's only salt water. Him ingesting it wasn't the problem. I also highly doubt that the water in his eye started any of this. I put my little panthers in the shower once a week and know that they get water in their eyes every time.......I believe it will actually help them in cleaning their eyes. The closed eye was probably just a symptom of some other problem.

Things pass in nature at all ages. It doesn't sound like he suffered long and it seems like you gave him a good home for the time he was here. If you can figure out what happened for future knowledge that would be great but don't let it eat you up.

Good luck,
Kevin

That is rough. Don't blame yourself - I'm sure it wasn't anything you did. Sh#@ happens a lot when you keep reptiles. Experience is painfully won.

Last edited:
I guess it's just that motherly instinct I have. I get so attached. I'm going to see if my boyfriend will see if he can find out anything about what happened.

thank you for all the kind words. it truly helps to have them

so sorry for the loss. I think you are an excellent owner, if you already have a chameleon for 5 years. It proves that you have done something right in the care department.
With babies, there are too many things in the equation to think about. And, some of them are beyond our control (i agree with the others in here that say this might be your case).

Just as a reassurance, like what Biggun said, Saline should not be the cause.
My chameleon have a minor irritation in his eyes and dr Tom Greek administer saline solution into his eyes to clear the irritant. I also know that my cham ingest some of the solution. And, it does not harm him whatsoever.

Sorry for your loss of your little babe...:(
Again, it seems you had done everything correctly, try and move on and get another to cherish and love...
Good luck...
Cheers
scott

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is a natural mortality that seems to occur at about 3 months of age....I don't really know why it happens then though.

An autopsy might give you some answers.

Thank you all SO much for your kind and sweet words. They mean so much to me honestly. I hope to find out what happened. thanks again =)

If you find out let us know! Sorry for your loss. :( With any luck your next one will do better :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom