Left Eye Always Closed with some Resting During the Day

What's the live plant in the cage? Was it a recent addition?
Have you changed the UVB light around the time this eye shutting started?
Now that he's using a dripper it's an opportunity to try sneaking a cricket in between his teeth while the mouth is opening and shutting while he drinks.

If you can't solve the eye problem quickly you will need to see a good reptile vet to find out what's really going on with it.

What's the live plant in the cage? Was it a recent addition?
Have you changed the UVB light around the time this eye shutting started?
Now that he's using a dripper it's an opportunity to try sneaking a cricket in between his teeth while the mouth is opening and shutting while he drinks.

If you can't solve the eye problem quickly you will need to see a good reptile vet to find out what's really going on with it.

I have not changed the UVB until maybe a few minutes ago when upgrading him to his new cage. I will try and sneak a cricket in there! The plants include Hawaiin Sunshine, Yucca, Ivy, and Bromeliad.

Would this be the reason his eye is closed and he is resting though? I know I should do this regardless but...

I don't think feeders or lack of would cause him to close his eye/eyes. They close their eyes when they have an eye issue such as an infection or when the have a general health issue or when they are in pain from a health issue. I recommend a vet visit with a vet that's experienced with chameleons and have a fecal check by the vet to see if he has parasites.

I don't think feeders or lack of would cause him to close his eye/eyes. They close their eyes when they have an eye issue such as an infection or when the have a general health issue or when they are in pain from a health issue. I recommend a vet visit with a vet that's experienced with chameleons and have a fecal check by the vet to see if he has parasites.

So as I was replying to you, Niko decided to move his way over to the spray nozzle where his mist comes out and he positioned his face so it would hit his left eye and he sat there and let it get wet for the duration of the spray so for about a minute. Is this a good sign?

So as I was replying to you, Niko decided to move his way over to the spray nozzle where his mist comes out and he positioned his face so it would hit his left eye and he sat there and let it get wet for the duration of the spray so for about a minute. Is this a good sign?

It could mean his eye is bothering him.

IMG_1047.JPG.jpeg IMG_1048.JPG.jpeg
If he were mind that's what I would do. It's not good to wait with these guys. They can go down fast.
IMG_1047.JPG.jpeg

Here are some better photos of his eye. Clearly something is wrong. Will schedule vet appointment soon. Do you guys have any advice for the man time that I can do.

View attachment 182258 View attachment 182259
View attachment 182258

Here are some better photos of his eye. Clearly something is wrong. Will schedule vet appointment soon. Do you guys have any advice for the man time that I can do.

Keep him well hydrated with LONG mistings and buy him some new and different feeders. Linda's Gone Buggy sales value packs for like $20.00 where you're get a small amount of 4 different feeders for like $20.00. It's perfect for one chameleon. I'll get you her website.

If you don't see what you want just contact Linda and she will let you mix and match feeders. I recommend silks, horns, supers and what ever else you'd like to add.
http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/page/419991568

Last edited:
Hello, I was referenced to this website that you could maybe point me in a direction of assistance for my pet veiled chameleon. I have a veiled chameleon named Niko. He is 10 months old and is currently living in a 30" H by 12" W by 12" D cage that is all screen. I use a Exo-Terra Monsoon RS-400 to keep his habitat constantly humid. It sprays every hour for 15-20 seconds. The temperature is around 80 during the day when lights are on. He has a live plant in his cage along with a stick and a elevated basking spot. I am writing this email because Niko has been experiencing issues with his left eye. Over the past few days he has not opened it and I am very concerned. He is resting during the day some and when awake he only uses his right eye. It impairs his eating because he is having trouble focusing on the prey (crickets). I dust his crickets with a supplement without D3 daily. Overall he seems to be healthy. I handle him at least two to three times per week and when he is out of his cage he is typically very inquisitive, always exploring my bed and such. Today he take a nap before for maybe 5 minutes on my hand as he would at night, then crawled off and adventured around. Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Some have said his eye may be irritated and needs a spray of water. I would love to know what you have to say. If you have any questions let me know, thank you.

I am having this same problem but the eye looks heathy. He will open it occasionally. It doesn't look crusty or dry. The chameleon (Wyatt) is 9 months and is handled about once a week. He is sprayed often. He has a 3 foot by 3 foot by 18 inches. I dust crickets (no d3) he has a uv bulb about 6 inches from the cage (I know this is close but the cage gets too cold) and I have 2 heat lamps about 6 inches as well. Wyatt eats well and doesn't seem in pain but if you guys have any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom