Left Eye Always Closed with some Resting During the Day

Hello, I was referenced to this website that you could maybe point me in a direction of assistance for my pet veiled chameleon. I have a veiled chameleon named Niko. He is 10 months old and is currently living in a 30" H by 12" W by 12" D cage that is all screen. I use a Exo-Terra Monsoon RS-400 to keep his habitat constantly humid. It sprays every hour for 15-20 seconds. The temperature is around 80 during the day when lights are on. He has a live plant in his cage along with a stick and a elevated basking spot. I am writing this email because Niko has been experiencing issues with his left eye. Over the past few days he has not opened it and I am very concerned. He is resting during the day some and when awake he only uses his right eye. It impairs his eating because he is having trouble focusing on the prey (crickets). I dust his crickets with a supplement without D3 daily. Overall he seems to be healthy. I handle him at least two to three times per week and when he is out of his cage he is typically very inquisitive, always exploring my bed and such. Today he take a nap before for maybe 5 minutes on my hand as he would at night, then crawled off and adventured around. Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Some have said his eye may be irritated and needs a spray of water. I would love to know what you have to say. If you have any questions let me know, thank you.

P.S. His new cage is coming in tomorrow 4.5' H by 2' W by 2' D!!! He has been spending a lot of time near the top of the cage on the walls and ceiling.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear that Niko is having problems. Please post some pictures of him. He could be just closing his eye/eyes because he has a health issue. When they are sick or in pain they often close there eyes and sleep/rest in the daytime. Has he had a fecal to check for parasites lately? Chameleons often get parasites because of the types of feeders that they eat. If parasites go untreated it makes them sick and will eventually kill them. I'm not sayin his problem is parasites, I'm saying that's a good place to start with a fecal. It would help allot if you would fill out the How To Ask For Help form linked below. At 10 mo this old his basking spot should be 85 to 88 degrees. I'd also recommend misting him less often but for allot longer each time.....two to three times a day should be plenty for 5 to 6 minutes each time. He needs long misting to be able to drink and clean his eyes. I'm also attaching the Forums caresheet below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear that Niko is having problems. Please post some pictures of him. He could be just closing his eye/eyes because he has a health issue. When they are sick or in pain they often close there eyes and sleep/rest in the daytime. Has he had a fecal to check for parasites lately? Chameleons often get parasites because of the types of feeders that they eat. If parasites go untreated it makes them sick and will eventually kill them. I'm not sayin his problem is parasites, I'm saying that's a good place to start with a fecal. It would help allot if you would fill out the How To Ask For Help form linked below. At 10 mo this old his basking spot should be 85 to 88 degrees. I'd also recommend misting him less often but for allot longer each time.....two to three times a day should be plenty for 5 to 6 minutes each time. He needs long misting to be able to drink and clean his eyes. I'm also attaching the Forums caresheet below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. Male. 10 Months. I've had him since he was a month or two old.
  • Handling - Handled him every day for a long time but he went through a phase where he wasn't having any of it. Starting to get back into handling now around two or three times per week.
  • Feeding - I feed Niko a varied diet. Typically change it up every two weeks. Either 5-6 mealworms or 3-4 medium sized crickets with Supplement without D3. I feed him once a day. Feeding has been slow lately he hasn't been interested as usual and is having trouble aiming due to only using one eye. He sometimes gives up. I feed the crickets fruit or vegetables in my fridge. Fills them with various vitamins.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium with D3 twice a month and Repti Calcium without D3 everyday.
  • Watering - I have a ExoTerra Monsoon RS400 and it mists every hour for 30 seconds. I haven't seen him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Fecal is typically white liquid and brown solid. Has always been the same since I got him. He has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Purchased from Petco. Always been a good little guy and eats regularly.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Currently have an all screen cage 12 W x 12 D x 36 H. He has a new cage coming in tomorrow that is double the size; 24 W x 24 D x 48 H, also screen.
  • Lighting - Currently using Reptisun 5.0 UVB and Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb 60W. Plan on upping both of those when installing the new cage due to the increase in height. Scheduled lighting timer. 12 hours on then 12 hours off consistently.
  • Temperature - 69 - 81 F. Lowest overnight temperature would be around 65. I use the electronic thermometer given to me in the Chameleon Starter Kit.
  • Humidity - Tough to gage due to a very cheap humidity gage that only measure its area. Around 50%. I use live plants and also the mister I mentioned earlier.
  • Plants - Yes. I dont remember the exact name of the plant at the moment. I do know Niko has never tried to eat it.
  • Placement - My bedroom. Not near fans or air vents or such. Height at the top of the cage from the floor is around 4'8" to 5'.
  • Location - Massachusetts, United States of America.

Current Problem - Niko is currently taking naps during the day and is constantly keeping his left eye closed no matter what. When awake he only keeps his right eye open. Initial paragraph lists everything also. I will grab some pictures in the morning because he is sleeping at the moment. It is 9:00 PM where I am located.

Took these this morning, lights have been on for around 30 minutes now. Had to take pictures before school! Eyes are all closed, but he has been awake and moved around this morning.

IMG_1035.JPG.jpeg IMG_1037.JPG.jpeg IMG_1036.JPG.jpeg

poor guy. try and take a live plant or such and place it in your bathroom, then turn the shower on not too hot but warm. and place him on the live plant. the mist from the shower should hydrate his eye. he looks dehydrated to me. and the veil is very odly shaped for a male

He looks very skinny to. There's a chameleon vet in Mass. I recommend a check up and fecal. The vet there is the odd pet vet. I will get you some more info about them.

He looks very skinny to. There's a chameleon vet in Mass. I recommend a check up and fecal. The vet there is the odd pet vet. I will get you some more info about them.

He has always been very skinny ever since I had him. I have always fed him until he didn't want anymore. I don't understand. Could this just be his makeup?

poor guy. try and take a live plant or such and place it in your bathroom, then turn the shower on not too hot but warm. and place him on the live plant. the mist from the shower should hydrate his eye. he looks dehydrated to me. and the veil is very odly shaped for a male

Thank you! I'll definitely give this a try tonight.

No he should not look like that, him always being like that could mean now it's catching up with him (whatever "it" is). To add to what others already said, don't feed mealworms, they don't do much at all for nutrition. Are you supplementing with vitamins and d3 at all? Can you show a pic of the cage?

He has always been very skinny ever since I had him. I have always fed him until he didn't want anymore. I don't understand. Could this just be his makeup?

Parasites can make them skinny. Do you ever feed him superworms, silkworms and hornworms? Mealworms are not the best feeders for chameleons.

Here's the vet info: Dr. Gregory Mertz at The Odd Pet Vet inWeymouth, MA, the office is in the wildlifecenter.

You could try bumping the basking temperature up to the mid 80's F and see if that helps.
Do you have a substrate in the cage?
Do you hand feed?

No one of what i said above really addresses the issue of the eye closing.
Sorry.

Last edited:
This is a picture of his new cage! 5' Tall!! I will acclimate it to him slowly, still working on the interior Do you guys want to see the old one?

View attachment 182207

I don't think those trees will be good for your chameleon to climb on. I really like the Pothos it seems to hold the water for a long time and also does quite well inside. The Ficus and Schefflera also do great indoors. The Hibiscus is a favorite of the veileds but needs allot of light so your need to use hibiscus outside or have a couple to rotate from inside to outside for sun. Your plants will need to be washed and rinsed well and replanted before you use them. Use organic soil and buy large river rocks to cover the soil so your cham will not be able to eat the soil. Make sure the rocks are very large so the cham cannot eat the rocks.

What is the live plant in his cage? Is it a recent addition?
Is his eye closed when he's out of the cage or in the cage or both?
Have you replaced the UVB light recently?

What is the live plant in his cage? Is it a recent addition?
Is his eye closed when he's out of the cage or in the cage or both?
Have you replaced the UVB light recently?

He always has one eye closed whether he is inside or out. Typically when outside he is inquisitive and explores my bed and such but left eye is always closed.

Parasites can make them skinny. Do you ever feed him superworms, silkworms and hornworms? Mealworms are not the best feeders for chameleons.

Here's the vet info: Dr. Gregory Mertz at The Odd Pet Vet inWeymouth, MA, the office is in the wildlifecenter.

I do not currently feed him Superworms, Silkworms, or Hornworms. Should I do this in rotation with the crickets?

I don't think those trees will be good for your chameleon to climb on. I really like the Pothos it seems to hold the water for a long time and also does quite well inside. The Ficus and Schefflera also do great indoors. The Hibiscus is a favorite of the veileds but needs allot of light so your need to use hibiscus outside or have a couple to rotate from inside to outside for sun. Your plants will need to be washed and rinsed well and replanted before you use them. Use organic soil and buy large river rocks to cover the soil so your cham will not be able to eat the soil. Make sure the rocks are very large so the cham cannot eat the rocks.

The cage isn't complete yet I am actually getting some Golden Ptothos for the cage! Going to the store again today! Would it be a good idea to have a hibiscus outside for Niko to adventure on when i take him outside, while supervised of course. I heard they like the natural UVB.

Back
Top Bottom