Leaving for a week.. meal prep question

Pistachiochameleon

Established Member
I am leaving town and having someone watch my chameleon for the week. (I have automatic lights and mister) i am trying to prep the food for them. Can I put crickets in the same container as horn and meal worms? Or will they eat each other? My idea is to have 7 Tupperware’s of each days meal (7crickets, 1hornworm, 2 superworms). Does anyone have any feedback or other recommendations? Thanks

I wouldn’t put them all together since crickets can start to munch on the other insects. I personally have a feeding chart specifying when and what my pet sitter needs to feed. As long as you explain in detail they are pretty good about it. This also allows for proper gutloading and supplementing of the insects.

I would try to keep it as simple as possible. Stick to dusted crickets for the week you're gone. Make sure the person who's watching checks on your Chams water supply and lighting while you're gone too. In case a bulb burns out either have an extra ready or money for your caretaker to purchase a bulb themselves.

How old is the cham? My adult chameleons can go a week without food, though I'll usually have my house sitter throw them a couple superworms halfway through the week.

She is 5 months old. Got her from petco and she is still fairly skinny... trying to get her to a healthy size before she starts to lay eggs. Probably going to start cutting food back next month.

I would try to keep it as simple as possible. Stick to dusted crickets for the week you're gone. Make sure the person who's watching checks on your Chams water supply and lighting while you're gone too. In case a bulb burns out either have an extra ready or money for your caretaker to purchase a bulb themselves.
Thank you! I’ll definitely have extra bulbs.

I would package up the crickets by the day in seven containers and let the sitter fish out the horn and supers for each day. You can cup 14 supers together. Just a note some gut load will mold if left in a container that long. Carrots aren't the perfect food but tend not to mold too easily.

I would package up the crickets by the day in seven containers and let the sitter fish out the horn and supers for each day. You can cup 14 supers together. Just a note some gut load will mold if left in a container that long. Carrots aren't the perfect food but tend not to mold too easily.
Thank you! That is what i will do, didn’t think about the molding!

Back
Top Bottom