lazy tongue

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
the other day I was handfeeding kiwi a hornworm and he would not shoot his tongue more than about 4 - 5 inches. So the next thing I fed him was a smaller hornworm and he I backed my hand out further and further so that he had to shoot his tongue further but he come coming out closer and started going along his dragon ledge to get close. He is normally cup fed and the cup is only about 3 inches deep but sometimes we feed him from a cup 7 inches deep and he does fine. I think he has just gotten lazy but is their any way I can get him to shoot further again or if I should or not.

the other day I was handfeeding kiwi a hornworm and he would not shoot his tongue more than about 4 - 5 inches. So the next thing I fed him was a smaller hornworm and he I backed my hand out further and further so that he had to shoot his tongue further but he come coming out closer and started going along his dragon ledge to get close. He is normally cup fed and the cup is only about 3 inches deep but sometimes we feed him from a cup 7 inches deep and he does fine. I think he has just gotten lazy but is their any way I can get him to shoot further again or if I should or not.
If you UVB lighting and supplements are on point then there should not be an issue with shooting. If you want to let us know what your using for this and the rotation we can confirm if it is right.

I use the repti calcium no d3 every feeding except for 4 a month. I use the phosphorus free rep cal with d3 twice a month and I use the rep cal multivitamin twice a month. I do think he is just being lazy because he eats out a shallow dish. I fed him today and I got a few more inches out of him.

sorry I don't have a lot of pictures he is sleeping but I have this from a few weeks ago.
IMG-5316.jpg

All kind off looks good but tongue issues are like a red flag. My guess is either both your D3 and MV have D3. So he is getting too much. Or he simply hurt his tongue.
Easy fix on both just check your supplements if it is in both just cut out the plain D3 and just use the MV twice a month. If it is injury then it will likely heal quick.

All kind off looks good but tongue issues are like a red flag. My guess is either both your D3 and MV have D3. So he is getting too much. Or he simply hurt his tongue.
Easy fix on both just check your supplements if it is in both just cut out the plain D3 and just use the MV twice a month. If it is injury then it will likely heal quick.
like I said I do think it is laziness because if I really lure him he eats from about 7 to 8 inches, and acts completely normal. will check MV for d3 thank you for advice.

How far below is the closest branch to the uvb light?

Also, it seems like Repcal with D3 has crazy high D3 levels. 400,000IU/kg compared to the 22,907IU/kg in Reptivite with D3. That's 17 times (or more depending on the supplement) the amount that people usually use. Using Repcal with D3 twice a month, let alone once a month, seems like overkill and may lead to an overdose.

As for the Repcal with multivitamins. This is the one that has "with Beta Carotene" on the label correct? It's speculated that some species of chameleons cannot convert the beta carotene into retinol. You can always try a different supplement such as Reptivite with D3 or Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. Both of these supplements have preformed vitamin A ready for use. This means that your cham doesn't need to convert beta carotene into retinol. Plus, if you go with one of these supplements, it also includes a multivitamin. This means that you don't have to split up your D3 and multivitamin days. You can hit two birds with one stone.

How far below is the closest branch to the uvb light?

Also, it seems like Repcal with D3 has crazy high D3 levels. 400,000IU/kg compared to the 22,907IU/kg in Reptivite with D3. That's 17 times (or more depending on the supplement) the amount that people usually use. Using Repcal with D3 twice a month, let alone once a month, seems like overkill and may lead to an overdose.

As for the Repcal with multivitamins. This is the one that has "with Beta Carotene" on the label correct? It's speculated that some species of chameleons cannot convert the beta carotene into retinol. You can always try a different supplement such as Reptivite with D3 or Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. Both of these supplements have preformed vitamin A ready for use. This means that your cham doesn't need to convert beta carotene into retinol. Plus, if you go with one of these supplements, it also includes a multivitamin. This means that you don't have to split up your D3 and multivitamin days. You can hit two birds with one stone.
thank you I was not clear on those d3 levels. my branch is about 7 - 8 inches below t5 5% reptisun uvb. just to be clear do you want me to use the reptivite or Repashy Calcium plus ever y time? thank you so much I am always trying to do what's best for my cham and make changes if needed.

Back
Top Bottom