Laying eggs again??!!

lojack13

Hi all, it's been awhile since I have been on here. My female Nosy Be Panther is coming up on 2 years old and she laid her first clutch of 38 eggs about 6 weeks ago. Though I was freaked out she did awesome. For the next week her black, gravid colors waned and she turned back to normal coloration. Then, about 3 weeks after her egg laying she started turning black again and now today ( 6 weeks after the initial egg laying ) she is digging again this morning!!?? I did not know females could get gravid that fast after they laid a clutch ( if that is what is going on ) has anyone else had this happen?

Has she been mated? They often lay a retained clutch this soon.

Hey Jannb, I actually did not mate her at all. So you think this might be some sort of "retainer clutch" she built back up after her initial clutch? I can tell you this, she ate like an absolute pig after her first clutch right up until yesterday.

If she was not mated then this is just another infertile clutch. After she lays you should feed her well for 3 or 4 days and then cut back on her food and heat. This link will show you how you can help to reduce the amount of clutches, clutch size and might even keep her from laying at all.

It says for veiled chameleons but it also helps with panthers.
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Thanks! Yeah I may have made the mistake of overfeeding her after her first clutch. This is probably why she went right into another one unfortunately.

I feed all my adult chams 3 times a week. I use a variety of feeders but if only using large adult crickets I'd feed 4 or 5 to the females. I also offer fresh veggies once or twice a week and fresh fruit about twice a month.

Back
Top Bottom