laying bin?

Carlemeleon

Hi everyone, Milly is a little over 4mnths old and I have had her for almost a month now. She is adjusting very well and had het first shed last week. The last day or so she has really been checking out her surroundings as opposed to just sticking to her comfortablepaths b/w basking-feeding-sleeping spots. She is wandering and climbing all over! She doesn't seem stressed @ all, but I wonder if she might be looking for a place to lay eggs...? Her cage is small 16x16x20 w/1 live plant & 3 fake vines.. what is the min size laying bin I can use for her, and is the "reptile sand" from the pet store a good/safe medium?

thats a little young for eggs. she needs a 12 inch bucket filled with sand.

more than likely shes just exploring.

Last edited:
sounds like to me that she is juest exploring and or trying to get the shed of the bottom of her feet. my female veiled, right after her shed, was more active in her terra and seemed to feel more comfortable with her surroundings.

When she is ready to lay, yiou will actually be able to see the eggs pressing against her sides back by her hind legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSzYpZKOzbg

this video is of a female digging her hole to lay her eggs. aty around 40-50 sec you get a good pic of the eggs pressed against her sides by her hind legs.

when it is time for her to lay her eggs, you should have a 5 gallon buck with 12 inches of moist play sand. just wet enough so that when digging a tunnel the tunnel doesnt colapse.

Jannb has an exallent blog of what to do to prep and to do during this time i'll see if i can find it real quick....

That's a tad young but better to have a laying bin too early than too late. They can lay as early as 4 1/2 months if you over feed them and even have complications and pass away from laying too young. You might find my egg laying/laying bin blog helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

well thanks for beating me to the punch Jannb :D now i dont have to find my old thread where you sent me the info. it was extremely helpful!!!!

thats a little young for eggs. she needs a 12 inch bucket filled with sand.

more than likely shes just exploring.
its still possible, ive heard of 5 month old chams laying, valaria layed for the first time when she was just under 6 monthes old

Back
Top Bottom