Laying bin soil?

beavesss

What is the best soil for veiled chameleons to lay their eggs? I have one with burrowing clay and coconut husk in it but she isn't interested and I find her roaming the bottom of her cage

I have read that its 8x10x12. I am just not sure if she doesn't like the soil in it or if she is looking for other areas in the cage to lay them at that she likes more?

Has she ever laid before in the 8x10x12? If not then I'd change the soil and the bin. They can be very fussy at laying. They like the moisture just right too.

I use washed play sand. A veiled needs a big laying bin. What size are you using? Below I have my egg laying/laying bin blog attached for you.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Has she ever laid before in the 8x10x12? If not then I'd change the soil and the bin. They can be very fussy at laying. They like the moisture just right too.

No, this would be her first time. What do you mean by "washed" playground sand?

that is what it is called. You can get it at home depot, lowes, in the garden dept. It is sand that has been cleaned and sifted and it is usually used for sand boxes for kids.

I don't know. I am sure there is a process they use to get the sand like that. I know from what I have read(as I do not have female) that the play sand has to be moistened so it will hold a tunnel. It cannot be dry. Its been a long time since I have bought playsand as my children are young adults but it is relatively cheap and it shouldn't take more than a bag or two to fill up the container you would need for the laying bin.

It comes in large bags at Lowes, Home Depot and sometimes even WalMart has it. I have no idea what kind of sand is used in your volleyball court.

Well if I can get it out of my backyard instead of buying it I will. If i remember playground sand is what we used at the time 7-8 years ago so if i give it a good sifting it will get the junk out of it. I don't remember playground sand being all that soft or fine. I will mix some burrowing clay in it for better tunneling and hold moisture

I use straight sandbox sand also. It holds moisture and is easy for the little girls to dig in. I don't know about clay, I don't have any experience with it, but if she is ready and not digging I would give her another choice. My girls like the sand pretty damp. I use a bathroom size trash can, the rectangular type, and they use it just fine. I have one that won't use it and insists on using a round one. Go figure. Twice I had to take out the rectangular one and give her the round one and she went right in and started digging. I have also had to take out a trash can and add more water. I always stir it around with a big wooden spoon. Yes, they are fussy.

I use dirt from the back yard.
Seriously- my lizards really react well to real soil. I think it smells/tastes/feels natural to them. I used to use sand mixed with peat moss, dampened enough to hold a tunnel well. The dirt I dig up a few days before they lay and it is always the right moisture level naturally where I live- I don't dig on rainy days and we don't live in a desert.
I throw a few leaves on top of the soil to provide some cover for the female.

I use sand. Have used sand mixed with soil in the past.

I find most of my girls will not lay in a bin unless it is the LOWEST part of the cage. If she can get around the edges of the bin to a lower area of the cage, she wont use the bin. So I pack towels around the edges (the bin is slightly smaller than the cage floor)

Back
Top Bottom