Laying bin help!!!

I have a laying bin in my female Panther chameleon cage. I used top soil and it smells and goes really hard so she can't dig. Is their another medium I can use? I'm new to this and really don't want my female to become egg bound so help!!

Well washed Play sand or organic soil. Even a mixture of both will do.

The play sand sounds good! How should I wash it and for how long and do I just leave it in her bin or do I have to keep it somewhat wet? I don't really like the soil it's a mess. I keep it in her cage and sometimes she eats her crickets on it would it be ok for her to ingest a little sand bc of the crickets? Sorry so many questions

The play sand sounds good! How should I wash it and for how long and do I just leave it in her bin or do I have to keep it somewhat wet? I don't really like the soil it's a mess. I keep it in her cage and sometimes she eats her crickets on it would it be ok for her to ingest a little sand bc of the crickets? Sorry so many questions

I don't know if there is a better way but I grab a big bucket, stick the hose down to the bottom and let her rip, occasionally using the hose itself to stir the sand up and just wait till the water runs clear. It has to be wet enough to hold a tunnel and I'm not sure if a Panther will eat sand, I just know my Veiled does so I mixed it with soil and she stopped. I'm assuming tiny bits of sand should be OK. My Cham ate a couple mouthfuls and pooped it out.

Also, do read/watch the links Lathis posted.

80% washed playsand 20% organic soil mix has always been my go to media for nesting.. i also put a 1/2 moist layer of soil on top of the mix.. I did his in a 10"x12" tub usually at a depth of 8-10"..When you make the mix compact it in the container and hand dig a pilot hole to test for holding strength..

Back
Top Bottom