Last week's tumble, this week's bruised little body.

Hey all. I'm mostly a reader and post little. Yesterday I was in Remi's enclosure and decided to take her out for some sun and noticed this huge bruise on her and my heart sank.

Last week we were having some beautiful weather and took Remi out to get some vital sun. Most of the week was fine, take her out of her enclosure(with protest) and take her out side to her outdoor enclosure, no problems everything going good, then on no perticular day she decides she going to make a jump for it. Well she managed to land in my other hand, unfortunately I had her food blow in that hand and she hit that and somersaulted on to one of my plastic lawn chairs. It was gut wrenching to see that happen to her. At the time she took it like a trooper, she hissed at me when I picked her up and still fought me till I got her to her enclosure.
Today I had to hand feed her just to make sure she at least has some food.
I'm extremely worried. Here are some pics. My spouse and I are calling to make an appointment with vet as soon as we can, hope she didn't break anything.
20160609_184325.jpg
20160609_184252.jpg
1465516404179446582413.jpg

It actually doesn't look too bad in my opinion... is she acting normal? If she's acting normal then I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep an eye on her. You most likely would have noticed anything if there was internal bleeding by now.

She acting sort of normal minus the eating part. She just ignores her feeders, though she was getting perked up when I had her outside yesterday with all the flying insects flying around. Lol. Maybe I should start breeding flying insects.

You can get black soldier fly larvae aka phoenix worms/calciworms, and just keep them long enough until they pupate into flies. It may cause the hunger strike to end. I would be a little worried about the no eating part though...

She acting sort of normal minus the eating part. She just ignores her feeders, though she was getting perked up when I had her outside yesterday with all the flying insects flying around. Lol. Maybe I should start breeding flying insects.

Is she getting ready to lay eggs? They'll stop or slow down eating before they lay.

Is that her normal topline?

Does she normally have that hunched-back look over her shoulders and pelvis? A normal topline has an arch, not that wavy line. If that is her normal posture, I might be taking her to the vet wondering why she has a deviation to her spine. The spine shouldn't be curved like that unless it is just that the photograph caught her in that position. Perfectly normal chameleons certainly can and do contort themselves if they want, but if that is the way she "always" looks, I might be concerned.

Does she normally have that hunched-back look over her shoulders and pelvis? A normal topline has an arch, not that wavy line. If that is her normal posture, I might be taking her to the vet wondering why she has a deviation to her spine. The spine shouldn't be curved like that unless it is just that the photograph caught her in that position. Perfectly normal chameleons certainly can and do contort themselves if they want, but if that is the way she "always" looks, I might be concerned.
No,no. It's the way the pic was taken.
We've already made an appointment with the vet to make sure nothing else is wrong with her.

Well it looks like things are going south, imo. Lights came on this morning and she barely moved from her spot, though she did move down to the potted pothos I have in the middle of her enclosure, and went back to sleep. I'm so worried right now and Tuesday can't come quick enough. She most likely also has eggs as well. All this stress on her little body most be agonizing. I know its agonizing for me, I'm stressing because it's my fault she's hurting. Now with her sleeping during the day, its gone from bad to worst. I have my fingers crossed and prayers are going out to mother earth to send postie vibes her way.

Thank you for reading.

Well, I woke this morning and it was not the best of mornings. Remi was laying (what look like dead)on the bottom of her enclosure, I about lost it. Opened the trap door of the xl reptibreeze and touched her little foot and she looked at me like I needed to leave her alone. Then the emergency call to our vet. I didn't and still don't have the heart to take pics of her at this stage, it breaks my heart. I rush her to the vet with my youngest daughter, we get there and the vet is ready for Remi. Dr.Billingsley I believe that's our vets name. Checked her out and came to the conclusion that an egg ruptured in her and now she is on a ten day antibiotic regimen and Dr.Billingsley gave her a 50/50 chance. I hope she makes a turn around.

Omg, I hope everything works out >.< Hopefully she turns around. My thoughts are with you.

Well, I woke this morning and it was not the best of mornings. Remi was laying (what look like dead)on the bottom of her enclosure, I about lost it. Opened the trap door of the xl reptibreeze and touched her little foot and she looked at me like I needed to leave her alone. Then the emergency call to our vet. I didn't and still don't have the heart to take pics of her at this stage, it breaks my heart. I rush her to the vet with my youngest daughter, we get there and the vet is ready for Remi. Dr.Billingsley I believe that's our vets name. Checked her out and came to the conclusion that an egg ruptured in her and now she is on a ten day antibiotic regimen and Dr.Billingsley gave her a 50/50 chance. I hope she makes a turn around.
Here are some recent pics just taken.
20160612_164515.jpg
20160612_164538.jpg

I'm sorry your Remi is not doing well.

If the vet is correct, I think his 50/50 chance is a tad optimistic. What did he base this diagnosis on? It's a somewhat common problem with chickens and has a very poor prognosis: It is not a case of if they recover but when will they die and how much will they suffer. I would be asking why the vet is even treating her. When the contents of eggs spill into the abdominal cavity, there will at some point be a massive infection. Again, sorry your Remi is not doing well. I wish I could offer you more.

@jajeanpierre

So what your saying is pretty much she is going to die, and probably be suffering as well? I can't remember what he said it's called, but idk what else to except for putting her down?! I'm at a loss either way I go I guess.

I made an error earlier in this thread. My vet is Dr. Beasley.

@jajeanpierre

So what your saying is pretty much she is going to die, and probably be suffering as well? I can't remember what he said it's called, but idk what else to except for putting her down?! I'm at a loss either way I go I guess.

I made an error earlier in this thread. My vet is Dr. Beasley.

I'm sorry if I've upset you and I'm really sorry your Remi is not doing well. It might very well be that she is going to die and she might be suffering. I don't know that. Chameleons lying crumpled on the floor don't strike me as very comfortable.

I am questioning how the vet came to the conclusion s/he did. Did s/he x-ray? Ultrasound? Did Remi receive subcutaneous fluids?

I'm also questioning that if the diagnosis is indeed correct, why is he even treating especially with the other issues I see in your pictures and I'm not a vet.

There are a whole bunch of things going on with Remi. When I look at the first pictures, I see a chameleon with sunken eyes and two bumps on her face between her eyes. That suggests a sinus infection of some sort and who knows what else.

When an chameleon is declining like Remi--and she looks to be gravid, too--the normal course would be to give fluids and calcium. I heard no mention of that. I don't know how a vet could come to the conclusion that an egg ruptured. It's pretty hard to rupture an egg, especially when they have a flexible shell. I would expect a uterine rupture before an egg rupture.

Why did the vet miss the sinus infection and the dehydration?

I'm sorry if I've upset you and I'm really sorry your Remi is not doing well. It might very well be that she is going to die and she might be suffering. I don't know that. Chameleons lying crumpled on the floor don't strike me as very comfortable.

I am questioning how the vet came to the conclusion s/he did. Did s/he x-ray? Ultrasound? Did Remi receive subcutaneous fluids?

I'm also questioning that if the diagnosis is indeed correct, why is he even treating especially with the other issues I see in your pictures and I'm not a vet.

There are a whole bunch of things going on with Remi. When I look at the first pictures, I see a chameleon with sunken eyes and two bumps on her face between her eyes. That suggests a sinus infection of some sort and who knows what else.

When an chameleon is declining like Remi--and she looks to be gravid, too--the normal course would be to give fluids and calcium. I heard no mention of that. I don't know how a vet could come to the conclusion that an egg ruptured. It's pretty hard to rupture an egg, especially when they have a flexible shell. I would expect a uterine rupture before an egg rupture.

Why did the vet miss the sinus infection and the dehydration?
I'm not upset with you. I'm just too worried I guess to think start. The vet did say to give her fluids and calcium he even mentioned to place her in a shallow bath just often to cover the bottom for her to lay in for 20 mins.

No there was no x-rays done or ultrasound, he seemed like he's been through it before. All I did was tell him what had happened a week or so prior to taking her to him. I just don't know what to do at this time. I don't want to to die, but at the same time I don't want her to suffer.

Also when I saw him for the emergency visit this past weekend he injected her with fluids just behind her shoulders is that normal? He gave me antibiotics for the next ten days. That I need to inject just under her skin just behind her shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom