Large bruise suddenly appeared...weird "scratching side" action?

EvilLost

Hey all,

So Clark has been scratching his left side with his back left leg (only that leg/spot) for a few days now randomly (not often but I've witnessed it multiple times over several days). I thought it was the result of him eating mealworms as he has done this before shortly after eating them....however, this morning I woke up and saw a LARGE black bruise exactly where he has been scratching!

Large is comparative of course, but it is roughly a little bigger than the size of one full eye turret.

Is this something to be concerned about ? I know if it is just a bruise I'm sure it will just heal over time, but the side scratching the same spot and then suddenly a bruise appearing has me slightly worried. He is active, eating, and drinking still.

He has also scratched at the bruise a few times today. His free-range is literally located directly behind my computer monitor so I can see him pretty much all the time :)

...of course, it could just be coincidence on scratching due to the mealworms, but he has not fallen or otherwise had anything (that I know of) that could have caused the bruise...

am I being overly worried (again)? :)

I don't think anyone will be able to hazard more than a guess. You should probably take him to the vet.

So Clark has been scratching his left side with his back left leg (only that leg/spot) for a few days now randomly (not often but I've witnessed it multiple times over several days). I thought it was the result of him eating mealworms as he has done this before shortly after eating them....however, this morning I woke up and saw a LARGE black bruise exactly where he has been scratching!

Can't imagine it has anything to do with mealworms. If the area is sore he might be scratching at the irritation. Any possibility it is actually a burn? No pic...no guess.

I actually took a pic last night, will upload it today. What would a burn look like (how would it be different from a bruise?) It looks like a pretty straight-forward blacking and there is no access to his lights for him to burn himself.

I'm just really confused what could even have caused this....but I will post that pic when I get home tonight

hi evil lost i have the same problem with my chameleon . so can u please tell me wat happened wid urs if it died or something,. or how u cure it . and thnks alot .. :)

Maybe his skin is really dry right there and hes scratching at it because his skin could be irritating him...and the scratching cause the bruise? Im not exactly sure...

Sorry I completely forgot to upload that pic...I'll do it as soon as I get back tonight.

As for his side bruise, it has not gone away for 2 sheds ....he is nearing a 3rd and it is still the same size as it has been since it appeared. He shows no discomfort from it at all....

He's been growing/eating/drinking perfectly healthy!

Can't imagine it has anything to do with mealworms. If the area is sore he might be scratching at the irritation. Any possibility it is actually a burn? No pic...no guess.

i hope its not my worst fears on why i never use. mealies or supers!!!

Sorry I completely forgot to upload that pic...I'll do it as soon as I get back tonight.

As for his side bruise, it has not gone away for 2 sheds ....he is nearing a 3rd and it is still the same size as it has been since it appeared. He shows no discomfort from it at all....

He's been growing/eating/drinking perfectly healthy!

good to hear hes eating, drinking fine..maybe he poked his side on a stick??

Feeders did not eat through the skin. It could be a parasite that worked its way out of the digestive tract and is pushing on the skin from the inside out. Maybe a burn? Could even be a minor cricket bite that your cham has scratched enough to cause a bruise. No one can can tell you anything without a pic.

Feeders did not eat through the skin. It could be a parasite that worked its way out of the digestive tract and is pushing on the skin from the inside out. Maybe a burn? Could even be a minor cricket bite that your cham has scratched enough to cause a bruise. No one can can tell you anything without a pic.

no, thus why its a bruise, but there have been cases of mealies doing the unthinkable..they are pretty tuff

i just stick to soft bodied foods..

I have uploaded a few pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/Mani.Arabi/PetHealthAndDiagnostics?authkey=Gv1sRgCLrzvMHE-uypHg

It looks like a simple bruise, and the BLACKNESS seems to change over time (sometimes its darker, sometimes it almost blends in with the blue on his bars). But it has been the same size since it appeared and I have no clue why...

I did feed him mealies back when it appeared but I have stopped since and he shows absolutely no distress as a result of it.

I have uploaded a few pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/Mani.Arabi/PetHealthAndDiagnostics?authkey=Gv1sRgCLrzvMHE-uypHg

It looks like a simple bruise, and the BLACKNESS seems to change over time (sometimes its darker, sometimes it almost blends in with the blue on his bars). But it has been the same size since it appeared and I have no clue why...

I did feed him mealies back when it appeared but I have stopped since and he shows absolutely no distress as a result of it.

I think it looks like a bruise. My veield got one on the end of his tail, I gave him a shower once a day for 3 days and it went away. It would go away right after the shower, then come back, but it wasnt as bad as it was. May want to try that.

the showering effect may actually help..i shower wc chameleons when they get home..(they usually are covered in bruises and small scrapes from fights or shippment, and it seems to ease it(doesent just toally cure, but def. helps)..almost looks like an akward climbing bruise..like when the slip a lil but will say grab there own tail..ive had chams do that on the tail, but not on the side..(personally im afraid to use meal worms and super worms, cause ive personally seen horror..but its the same as a gun randomly exploding in your hands or a bbq propane tank just randomly blowing up) but from what i know..chams stomach is higer up and further back if that was a worm chewing through..and he would be flailing and trying to regurgitate if that was the case..have you tried touching it(not to irritate it, but to see if it moves) maybe it could be a ringworm??although ive had wc's that had them clearly visible, but never bruised..this is weird....have you talked tou your vet yet and see what he/she says??

No I haven't taken him to a vet since he has shown no other problem signs at all.

He does have a separate eyelid issue where his eyelid doesn't close properly at times (I've posted about that in a sep thread) but he does not even seem aware of that one either.

Other than those two minor issues, he handfeeds and handles very well, has doubled in size over the past 2 months (finally hit that growth spurt!!) and is just overall very active.

My only real concern is that he has gone through 2 sheds and the bruise is still there (its been well over 2 months, almost 3, and he is approaching his third shed any day now actually). If he sheds a third time and it is still there, I think it may be vet time...

No I haven't taken him to a vet since he has shown no other problem signs at all.

He does have a separate eyelid issue where his eyelid doesn't close properly at times (I've posted about that in a sep thread) but he does not even seem aware of that one either.

Other than those two minor issues, he handfeeds and handles very well, has doubled in size over the past 2 months (finally hit that growth spurt!!) and is just overall very active.

My only real concern is that he has gone through 2 sheds and the bruise is still there (its been well over 2 months, almost 3, and he is approaching his third shed any day now actually). If he sheds a third time and it is still there, I think it may be vet time...

Dont fret. if eveything else, his eyes arent sunken, and his eatinghabits are good, he might be ok. Kink my veiled, bruise didnt go away for over a mont ahd a half, and it was only a half inch at the tip of his tail. He went thru two full sheds and it was still there. A vet trip cant hurt, but if it truly is a bruise, it will go away. however, if as you said he is still scratching at it, the vet may be able to prescribe something ot make him stop doin git (like anti itch cream or something). maybe try some neosporin on it, see if it makes him stop itching at all... Ive seen many members on here use it when their guys get scratches and burns etc.

I know my Vet has suggested a topical ointment for a burn, maybe the bruise is healing and it itches. Maybe hydrocortisone or neosporin, it will soften and hydrate, thus easing the discomfort a little.
I agree as well, warm showers seem to be an amazing healer for a miriad of maladies

ahhhh sorry I didn't mention that!!

he is *NOT* scratching it anymore! This thread is over 2 months old and although the bruise is still there, he does not scratch it or otherwise realize it exists at all...

I'm not entirely familiar with how their color-change works, but is it possible for their cells to permanently "die" ? So that the cell would just be black but otherwise not affect him at all? I dunno maybe thats stupid, like I said I don't know too much about the biology of theri color change (technical links/info appreciated!)

You know this sounds SOMEWHAT like what my baby panther has... Except his looks almost like a piece of skin didn't come off in his first shed... Maybe with time it'll just disappear?? My little one doesn't seem to notice it at all either so I doubt its a huge deal... And I couldn't see why their cells can't just die or fail like any other creatures? Theirs just come with a disappearance in beautiful color I guess:confused:

EDIT: Sorry had to say it I just hit 400 POSTS! lol

Back
Top Bottom