Kiwi's egg laying update

VeiledOwner87

brought her into my herp vet this morning and kiwi is going to be there all day for the oxytocin shots. that is what i ended up going with. she will be getting one every 3 hours three times today. my vet gave me the x-ray and a calcium gulconate shot for free which was great. we looked at the x rays, and there are about 20-24 eggs inside of her. they showed up nice and full and dense. hopefully this does it, but im going to make a brick of cocohusk and mix that with her sand, in case she doesnt lay at the vets she will have something more appealing to her when she gets home.

by the way, for those who maybe glimpsed at my health ask thread. she had a very swollen neck. her neck is back to normal now and her breathing is a lot better. my guess was that it was a respiratory infection or retained water. just uped the temperature a slight bit and cut down mistings to 3 5 minutes a day

It may have been gular edema which is the swelling of the neck. Gular edema is just a symptom of a under laying problem. Mostly its a result of over supplementing vitamin A but I've also read a lot of times people do experience this on occasion when a female is getting ready to lay.hope all goes well!

Hoping your female lays those eggs without further complications(fingers crossed). Glad to hear the edema is doing better. Keep us posted.

Yeah a little edema is relatively normal in gravid females as they are approaching ovipostion. I hope the oxytocin works for her. Im guessing the vet thinks there are no other issues going on that would hinder her ability to lay or pass the eggs. She'll prob just drop em she prob wont actually dig and lay. So I'd have something soft on the bottom of the enclosure in case she drops em from her perch. That is if they are fertile. ;)

Glad to here the edema is normal. As stated earlier, her neck has gone back to normal. Also, update! I called the vet and about an hour ago they checked on her. She started passing more eggs! The vet is in surgery right now so how many? I'm not sure. But all that afte one shot

ruru had a bit of edema when she was gravid ..it is over suplementing(in my case)...she still has it some but iv changed her dusting schedual and uped her water intake to help it out.

All infertile! I'm at the vets now to check. He's gonna give her one more oxytocin in 15 min. And then another x Ray before I leave.

Update: 34 eggs laid here! + 2 at home. Wow. And her colours are perfect dark green and brighte white and yellow

Thats so awesome. Glad it seems to have all worked out for you and Kiwi. Why is he giving her another shot though? I'd think he'd x-ray her first see if she retained any then give the shot if its needed. :confused:

I'm not sure man, is oxytocin harmfull? This will be her 2nd shot of the day. The first was done at 10am it's now 3:00 now where I am

It's pretty painful from what I know. It's the same shot they give women to get them through labor faster, and in many cases they have to give them a second epidural to counter the horrible pain. What it does is contract the uterus and cervix, often with much more intensity that they would on their own, so labor is that much worse. I can only assume that it's a similar in reptiles as in mammals, which is why I always prefer to be conservative when suggesting oxytocin shots.

But it's fantastic that she has gotten (hopefully ALL) eggs out! You must feel so relieved.

Deffinatley. We unfortunatly had my gfs female pass away from a spade survey from vein eggbound. She was so awsome and we did all we could for her. We just did things too wrong in the beginning before finding the forums. But I'm just thankfully I don't have to go through that again.

I think I'd ask him to xray first before giving the 2nd shot. She prob passed em all the first time. I just like to be conservative when it comes to administering any drugs to these guys/gals.

Olympia: I didnt know it was the same thing they give to women until i started talking to my gf one day. She's a labor & del nurse and she said thats the same stuff they use at the hopsital. She nearly fell over when i told her they give it to chams. lol

I did have the xray done first. No shot hasn't been given yet. Thank you so much for your inputs guys. She is so much lighter now I'm afraid to pick her up lol. Just waiting for the xray now. We are 40 eggs all together now. Wow. I was hoping for a smaler clutch lol

In advance, how much should I feed her when she's ready to eat and fir how long? Should I offer electrolytes or will the food and water be enough? I'm guessing yes if she doesn't eat at all? I just wanna do this right.

Update:
we just got home, before we left, the vet and i check the x-ray and there were still a few more. maybe 6ish. so we gave her another shot of oxytocin. im not going to put her in her cage, she is still in her shoebox ontop of a heating pad set to warm. i will keep checking the heat.
so far we have 40 eggs. i realy didnt think there would have been this many. but keep hoping the rest will come soon.

is there anybody who can tell me how long it takes for oxytocin to start doing its thing

My first cham, Lily, was given oxytocin. I was told that it would work within an hour. As it turned out she had laid them all, but the vet gave her a shot in case she had retained any as it was a month since she'd laid.

Back
Top Bottom