Kinyongia uluguruensis

Mike Fisher

Established Member
Finally some good photos of the rarely seen or photographed Kinyongia uluguruensis. These are very likely the first good photos of healthy individuals ever taken of this species. The photos show two different males, the first one with diverging rostral blades and the smallest female is the third photo. I've only had them a week and their weight and coloration is getting much better.

They are one of the smaller species of Kinyongia.

Their temperament is very good. They are active like Kinyongia is known for, but not feisty like Kinyongia multituberculata can be. I've not seen one hiss or try to bite, but they will try to leap if you are not careful. The smaller ones will drop from a branch when startled.

Attachments

• kulu14.jpg
    kulu14.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 601
  • kulu11.jpg
    kulu11.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 645
  • kulu15.jpg
    kulu15.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 542
Great to see that they are doing well and the new photos are great. As you said, this species has not been photographed much. I only know of three published photos of this species: two in Colin Tilbury's book and then one of those same pictures and a third image on an old Chameleons of Tanzania poster I have.

Best of luck with them!

Chris

Such a cool little species Mike, best of luck with them!

Great to see that they are doing well and the new photos are great. As you said, this species has not been photographed much. I only know of three published photos of this species: two in Colin Tilbury's book and then one of those same pictures and a third image on an old Chameleons of Tanzania poster I have.

Best of luck with them!

Chris

Chris, is this species extremely rare or do they just have a very small geographic distribution and come from an area that collectors really dont venture into?...

Chris, is this species extremely rare or do they just have a very small geographic distribution and come from an area that collectors really dont venture into?...

Its very poorly known and considered rare in its range. It is believed to live throughout the Uluguru Mountains, however, so not exceptionally small geographic distribution. It doesn't seem like many collectors go to this area.

Chris

Mike

You sir are obligated to photo document your Kinyongia uluguruensis as much as possible. Take good care of them and if you hatch babies photo document them as well. As Chris stated with a lack pictures around as many picture you can take is a welcome resource.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Mike

You sir are obligated to photo document your Kinyongia uluguruensis as much as possible. Take good care of them and if you hatch babies photo document them as well. As Chris stated with a lack pictures around as many picture you can take is a welcome resource.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

No pressure right?;) I'll do my best.

A couple more photos. Alpha male in defensive posture and female in yellow spotted display.

Attachments

• kulu22.jpg
    kulu22.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 403
  • kulu23.jpg
    kulu23.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 357
Non-receptive behavior

I just witnessed the most amazing display from one of my K. uluguruensis females. I decided to try pairing her up with one of my most impressive males.

Rather than turn tail and run away, as he approached, she turned toward him, her color changed to almost black. Then she raised up on only her hind legs into a standing position. What she did next blew me away. She began waving her front legs over her head in a slow rhythmic fashion. Still facing directly at him.

Needless to say, the effect on him was dramatic. In short, he looked very scared and quickly went and hid in the dense foliage in the corner.

Totally amazing. If I had not seen it for myself I would not believe it. It did not look real. It was beautiful! Like some sort of exotic dance.

She continued to do this even after he retreated, but as soon as the camera came in, she stopped. I did get a shot of her coloration before it faded back to green.

And no, I haven't been drinking.....Too early for that.

Attachments

• kulu24.jpg
    kulu24.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Very interesting, Mike. Next time you introduce them, you'll have to have the camera ready to video the interaction. Would be nice to see it first hand!

Chris

I just witnessed the most amazing display from one of my K. uluguruensis females. I decided to try pairing her up with one of my most impressive males.

Rather than turn tail and run away, as he approached, she turned toward him, her color changed to almost black. Then she raised up on only her hind legs into a standing position. What she did next blew me away. She began waving her front legs over her head in a slow rhythmic fashion. Still facing directly at him.

Needless to say, the effect on him was dramatic. In short, he looked very scared and quickly went and hid in the dense foliage in the corner.

Totally amazing. If I had not seen it for myself I would not believe it. It did not look real. It was beautiful! Like some sort of exotic dance.

She continued to do this even after he retreated, but as soon as the camera came in, she stopped. I did get a shot of her coloration before it faded back to green.

Females of kinyongia oxhyrhina are showing the same behavier,i noticed this several times.
Very special and funny to see ;)

As I stated about the picture being obligated about picture documenting this species earlier as much as possible. Video documenting (X2 as Chris stated) this behavior if you have got a camera around would be a great/worthy idea too!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

When she lowered her front half back down to the branch, she continued to wave one front leg toward him in a "pushing away" motion. Looked like she was waving him off. When I took that photo, her other leg behind the branch was still waving.

Glad that kameleons jvo has seen the same thing, otherwise you guys would think I was nuts! :p

Apparently Kinyongia use their front legs and feet much more than other chameleons. I've seen them grab flying insects from the air with a front foot in a quick motion, and also observed them removing cricket legs while holding the front half of the cricket in their mouth and reaching up and pulling the legs off.

A couple more female photos, two different individuals. The first photo is of the smallest one. She is growing like crazy. Still shows signs of importation battle scars. The second one pictured just finished a shed.

Trying to get more photos of males, but they get stressed for the camera.

Attachments

• kulu29.jpg
    kulu29.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 375
  • kulu27.jpg
    kulu27.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 346
Back
Top Bottom