Kinyongia uluguruensis

More photos. These guys get better all the time.

Attachments

• ulumale5.jpg
    ulumale5.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 398
  • ulumale6.jpg
    ulumale6.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Anyway, they are all nice and pink so we'll see how long they take. I'm suspecting over a year, but we'll see.

Spoke too soon. Only one of them is fertile, so this is a retained clutch. Bonus points to the person who guesses which one in the picture the good egg is.

Well any other one would just be a complete crap shot. If it turns out to be the bottom right - well I give up at that point. All I hope is that the fertile egg hatches for you.

Well any other one would just be a complete crap shot. If it turns out to be the bottom right - well I give up at that point. All I hope is that the fertile egg hatches for you.

Good call, the bottom right was the first to mold over. We've eliminated two of them, now you have a one in four chance. :)

Two different females. The girls are almost fluorescent green now. Very pretty and good tempered. They only puff up a little when they see the camera. My smallest girl in the first photo is now almost caught up with the bigger ones.

I wish I could get some better photos of males, but they are very bad tempered. Hoping that I can hatch some of them and see if that is innate behavior or just because they are WC.

Attachments

• ulu1.jpg
    ulu1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 307
  • ulu4.jpg
    ulu4.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 309
How many do you have in total?

Chase

That's a painful subject, but since you brought it up....

I originally had 15, but I lost one third of those in the first week, most within three days of arrival. I lost a couple more about a month in when they lost the will to live in captivity and stopped eating and drinking. I spent weeks feeding and hydrating them but it didn't matter.

I currently have less than half of the original group. They have been the hardest species that I have ever had to acclimate. They are a very sensitive species that is easily stressed.

In addition, I found that they like it warmer than all of my other montane chameleons so I have been constructing an insulated room so that they can stay warm enough this winter. Working with this species has been a stressful and humbling experience.

Just a quick note to say all is going well with them, the room is insulated and staying warmer. An interesting thing is that I've been holding up the feeding cup so that they can eat straight from it instead of just throwing the crickets in the enclosure. Most will eat straight from the cup now.

A couple of them do something interesting though.....They see me coming with the cup and get excited and start moving towards the front of the enclosure. When I put the cup in front of them, sometimes they shoot the rim of the cup and try to eat it. Like they have associated the cup with food so strongly that they actually think it is food. Weird.

And is is not that they are just missing a cricket and getting the cup instead, they are actually trying to eat the cup. I have to be careful because i don't want them to hurt their mouth.

I've hatched the only fertile egg laid last year from this species. Laying was 8/31/2014, with hatching today 2/22/2015.

Incubation temperatures were consistently 68F-69F.

First time this species has been hatched in captivity. Interestingly enough you can already see those distinctive dorsal spikes.

Attachments

• Uluhatch4.jpg
    Uluhatch4.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 309
Wow!! Nice one Mike, congratulations!
Shame it was just the one, but first time bred in captivity... a real achievement. Hope you have more to hatch in the near future.
How are your adults doing Mike?

Here she is at two months. Pretty sure it's a female based on the coloration....woohoo!

Attachments

• babykuluguru.jpg
    babykuluguru.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 342
  • babykuluguru2.jpg
    babykuluguru2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 298
Back
Top Bottom