Kinyongia breakthrough and crazy positions

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
Update on m boehmei after having him 10 days:

Yesterday he was acting restless and I decided maybe he was hungry; still trying to gauge how much to feed. To feed fruit flies they have to go in a deep cup and then sprinkle in the cage but this time I decided to see if by a miracle he would take from the cup. I propped myself on the door to prepare for the wait as he looked at me with one eye and the bugs with the other and then switched eyes, multiple times. Finally a long 5 minutes later he decided to eat them all from the cup. So rewarding to experience a wild creature doing this.

They are not kidding about them being monkeys. The first pic is how he will sometimes bask, hanging from one toe (he is under a plant light that barely gives off a tiny amount of heat as a regular bulb would overheat him)

The second is how he sleeps; instead of hiding in a plant, he "assumes the position" with his head hanging down, and Lord knows what he is holding on to or how it could be comfortable. His color change is dramatic also; not sure what the adaptive advantage is, he turns lime green and literally glows in the dark; it's the only time I can reliably find him.

Attachments

• Stretched out basking.jpg
    Stretched out basking.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Sleeping position.jpg
    Sleeping position.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 108
Nice!! Are you teaching him "down dog" pose? I like your pitcher plant too!
He is self-taught! Since I wrote this he changed where he sleeps; there is a little pitcher the same size/color as him, and he sleeps on the tendril it is attached to where it dips down, with one foot on top of the pitcher. I am dying to get a pic but it is down near the bottom and there is screen in front of him.

They are not kidding about them being monkeys. The first pic is how he will sometimes bask, hanging from one toe (he is under a plant light that barely gives off a tiny amount of heat as a regular bulb would overheat him)
+1. My Ambilobe has hung from his back feet and twisted his body 180° to grab a plant with the front feet.
The second is how he sleeps; instead of hiding in a plant, he "assumes the position" with his head hanging down, and Lord knows what he is holding on to or how it could be comfortable. His color change is dramatic also; not sure what the adaptive advantage is, he turns lime green and literally glows in the dark; it's the only time I can reliably find him.
I think that's known as "chameleon jammies". I don't usually bother mine after lights-out, but last night I was scouring the area for something with a flashlight, and peeked in. Very similar jammy colors.

How’s the restlessness now? Mine keeps pacing around like crazy, max 5 minutes at one position and bye bye. He starts the day with a short UVB basking session for 15 min and during the day another session. The rest of the day its just moving time; plants, leaves, branches, screen, bottom, just everything. Never seen such active reptile before.
Is it normal all year long or could it be mating time? Do you experience the same with Eliot?
The rest is normal, poops almost daily, drinks and eats. He’s just highly active!

I'm glad you sent this! Because he does still do some top screen-walking which would worry me if another type of cham, but I think it's just part of his "circuit". Sometimes I don't see all the activity, but I come home and a plant has been relocated or knocked to the ground so I know he has been at it. He seems to do the positions just for fun or exercise. My veiled will only hang by the tail if there is a bug completely out of reach, otherwise he is basking and immobile most of the day. Whereas, I will catch Eliot hanging by tail, or a back leg, and literally swinging around in circles!

He definitely uses the entire cage, many times I can't find him and he will "emerge" from deep in the vegetation looking for a bite.

On that note-since this is a very athletic animal-I am sort of assuming the normal feeding advice goes out the window, and that they need lots of bugs based on activity level. I hope I am not overfeeding, I keep an eye on the casque. But he will easily eat 6 or 7 flies plus a couple of BSflies in a sitting for example. I am curious how you are feeding.

Okay that source out the mating period option. As a hyper person, I then just need to deal with a hyper animal 🤣🤣.
The acrobatic moves are absolutely normal behavior, damn envy their skills!

Till now I haven’t noticed any extreme eating behavior, like Veiled’s. E the hide and seek game.....sometimes takes ages before I see him and then just because comes cruising by.

Eating? Well cup feeding is still a no-go. I release every other day flies, small crickets or dubia’s, 6 till 8 and let him hunt them down. Till now he’s doesn’t look skinny nor fat, more athletic I’d say, he poops normal on regular basis (almost daily). It’s absolutely difficult how to feed them and I just keep a close eye on him.

The Veiled is indeed more laidback, makes a few round a day and that’s, except when it’s feeding or pooping time. Then she’s athlete. Or during her receptive phase, on which I think she slowly coming into again, she’s really restless.

The Jackson is I think the most lazy one, he just lays around, and then fully relaxed observes everything.

All 3 completely different!

Back
Top Bottom