kinky's eyes

If anyone can help i would really like some input. I guess to start off kinky is 20months old now and is kept in a 65 gal reptarium. He has a large ficus and a pothos and lots of vines to climb on. he has a 75 watt basking lamp and a repti sun 5.0 tube style bulb. I do have to add that he used to have a compact uvb bulb but has not had it for about 4 months ever since ive read about them on here. So the issue is that his eyes crust over at least once a day and have been for that last 3 months. ive had him on tobramycin eye drops then ciprofloxacin eye drops but neither worked. then on top of that ive tried baytril orally but nothing helps. so ive resorted to just cleaning his eyes with a damp que tip everytime i see them crusted however i would like them to stop crusting up of course. so.. if anyone has an idea i would like to hear it. thank you. here are the pictures from today, his left eye was crusted completely until he forced his eye open to see me. his right eye has a clear film over his eye, its hard to see kinda.
kinkyeyes_002.JPG
[/IMG]
kinkyeyes_003.JPG

kinkyeyes_004.JPG

kinkyeyes_005.JPG

a trip to the vet is advisable eye infections are bad news they can spread very fast ive lost a few chams over the years cause ive waited

Im not an expert but a thorough showering would help for the time being...i watch my veiled open and close his eyes and he rolls them around to cleanse them its just my opinion until you get professional help...:eek::(

i agree. that is where i got all these meds. ive been to him twice in fact. next he said we should culture they eye crust which is another 100bucks so i want to check with all of you first

vets are really expensive i just paid 210 for a vet visit for my male jackson i had to inject antibiotics every three days for 2 weeks for a mouth infection

i have a panther that is having the same problem from time to time. i dont know what to do either. i have been using tobramycin also and it has helped but not cured the problem. also it is in only his right eye. i have gone throughout my husbentry to see if i was doing something wrongbut im not, and i clean his cage from top to bottom every 3 days with daily spot cleanings. he still has this eye issue. my vet and i are stumped :rolleyes: i have done the showering and the q-tip cleaning but to no success. i have come to the conclusion that it is not an eye infection, but i dont know what it is.

Thats a nice red body male you have there:) I would try and wash it out. Have you tried terramycin? Gentamicin?

Eye problems

My nosy be male has had alot of eye problems like this also. I use terramycin ointment when he is rubbing his eyes its worked for the past 6 months. Currently I am also strugling with his eyes staying opened. Also his activity has slowed down and his eyes dont look as puffed out. I am going to dust crickets tommorow with vit-A and check the humidity and temp of his basking spots along with the bottom of the cage. Does your cham ever go and sit on the floor for a little?

i have pretty much always been in this schedule for all my chams. and yes he has been pretty slugish for the last few months and doesnt really like to be under the basking light. he has been opting for the darker areas of the cage

I am wondering if your suplementation schedule maybe to heavy with the Cal with D3. This may be resulting in hypervitaminosis which can affect hydration resulting in a myriad of other problems which would include eye problems.:eek:

check this web site out.

http://www.chameleonsdish.com/nutrition/balance.htm

Also take a look At Brad Ramsey's supplementing schedule. Most of the seniors use it or some form of it.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/supplements.html

since you have trialed a couple of different antibiotics with no visual improvement (right?):confused:

Try cont your antibiotic for now, but decrease your D3 sup to 2 to 3 times per month. for the next few days to a week increase the misting sessions and try and hydrate your cham as much as possible to see if you can flush his system. and monitor his activity level and eye condition.

Hope that helps and good luck

OPI

i will def try that opi. if no improvement ill go back to the vet and ask about the Gentamicin and maybe do the culture. ive got him in the shower now infact toget this started. thank you for everyones help, this is the most help ive ever received for my chams and i really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom