Kinda freaking out

Tera_R

Established Member
So fig the past few weeks has been pretty unsocial like running from me ect he’s eating pooping ect but he will not come out from behind one of his plants like at all and he only comes out if I’m not here and even then he hasn’t really been doing that today I caught him sleeping during the day and we did have an incident a while ago where he got super stressed while I was handling him he did the shut down thing where they close there eyes I’m wondering if the stress from that did something other than that he’s completely healthy minus it has been a while since his last poop but that’s not abnormal for him and his urate had been fine so I really don’t know what it could be

Hi sleeping during the day isn't great, do you have pictures of him and his entire enclosure including lights
I don’t have any photos of him but here is his cage
DE351ABD-2B2E-4111-A0F1-BAC3A79404A5.png

Have you had a husbandry review? If not, it may help to find what may be going on. The only thing I see from your pic is that you have a lot of foliage that may be blocking his access to both heat and uvb. I also wonder about the size of the enclosure, but that wouldn’t have much directly to do with a health issue.

Have you had a husbandry review? If not, it may help to find what may be going on. The only thing I see from your pic is that you have a lot of foliage that may be blocking his access to both heat and uvb. I also wonder about the size of the enclosure, but that wouldn’t have much directly to do with a health issue.
it’s a 4 by 2 by 2 and I just changed out his uvb bulb which is a t5 5.0

Is there a clear spot between his basking branch and the lights or is the foliage in between?
Yeah it’s the spot in the front. the only thing I could think of is he did this when it got cold and it just started getting really hot and my ac was out for 2 days so I’m wondering if it’s the heat

He wouldn’t be sleeping during the day from being too hot. If it got too humid along with being too hot though, he could have gotten a respiratory infection. Any noises coming from him, like popping, wheezing or anything else? Is he sitting with his head in the air - star gazing? Has he been eating?

He wouldn’t be sleeping during the day from being too hot. If it got too humid along with being too hot though, he could have gotten a respiratory infection. Any noises coming from him, like popping, wheezing or anything else? Is he sitting with his head in the air - star gazing? Has he been eating?
Mm I haven’t noticed him raising his head or anything like that same with the noises and he’s been eating and pooping fine I woke him up and he’s been awake since I’m wondering if he just went to bed early or something I’m gonna keep an eye on him and see if it’s a frequent thing if it does become frequent I will take him to vet immediately

These are the best photos I could get and he wasn’t very happy that I was that close and I have another theory I just got a bearded dragon and they can see eachother could that be stressing him out?
43B34EE6-3EF2-4A00-8632-8764404D5D57.jpeg
15262CFF-101D-4B25-90A1-BBECF8A4097B.jpeg

My boy was doing this as well, I took him to my vet 3 times, drew blood..the works, and finally after a random poop I got checked it turned out he had a nasty parasite that was making him sick. If you haven't gotten him a fecal check yet that might be a good idea.

It
These are the best photos I could get and he wasn’t very happy that I was that close and I have another theory I just got a bearded dragon and they can see eachother could that be stressing him out?View attachment 340163View attachment 340164
its possible. It also looks like your enclosure may be on the floor. Height = safety to chameleons. I would recommend putting it on a table so his basking branches are above your head.

My boy was doing this as well, I took him to my vet 3 times, drew blood..the works, and finally after a random poop I got checked it turned out he had a nasty parasite that was making him sick. If you haven't gotten him a fecal check yet that might be a good idea.
Hm he gets them pretty regularly cus I’m a worrier his last one was in may but I’ll call my vet and have him tested again as soon as he poops since he hasn’t really been moving around a ton I haven’t been able to find any poop… also I have his cage on a pallet I will try to find something else to raise it higher so he feels more safe

Yeah, try and get the top of his cage at least 6' in the air, if not higher. And I'd bet that if he can see your beardie, that'll upset him too. They don't like change much, and seeing another creature that's about his size could DEFINITELY upset him. I'd get the beardie out of visual range and see if that helps too.

Last edited:
Small update :)

So i ended up covering my bearded dragon cage on the side that fig can see and he’s been coming out a little bit more not when I’m there though he basked a lot yesterday and didn’t eat much but he did eat the day before still waiting for him to poop so I can test him for parasites. I am also working on getting him raised up so he’s above me :)

yea i think that could def be stressing him out, maybe put something inbetween that blocks there view for a few days to see if theres a change in behavior?
So he actually can’t see the beardie from where he sits directly but you had a point so I was looking from fig cage to see if he could view him low and behold guess who can see the beardie through the mirror on my wall ember loved to sit right where fig can see him 🙄 covered the mirror for now I’m going to get like a blocker to stand in front of figs cage so this stops being a problem

Back
Top Bottom