Kind of Important....

Still no change. And now we've hit the weekend, so I'm stuck until Monday. Since I've been giving her so many electrolyets, she's gotten some of her energy back, not alot though. I'm still keeping with the electrolyte and calcium regiment, and see how that goes. I just need some kind of sign that she's going to lay. So far there's been nothing.

She might make it, It will more or less be a matter of saving her right after she lays. But, fingers crossed this will all turn out okay. Now, my biggest worry, is if she retained sperm or not.

i gave her carnivour care,water and calcium for 3 days because she was weak from not eating, i mixed the carnivour care kinda thick so she got something in her stomach .
if your vet is cool it won't cost to much either i think mine cost was about
$150.00 at the most it mighgt of been 130 because all they do is the check up,x-ray, then the carnivour care pouch i had my own liquid calcium then i went back 3 days later for the oxytocin shots i think now the total was about $130.00. its worth the cost if you have the time,mine took time and for like 2 weeks i was brainstorming what to do and what not to do.

after she drops all her eggs she might not eat right away ,dont keep giving her the carnivour after she lays her eggs.wait a day and put 2-3 crickets in her cage,if she dont eat them take them out at night and try the next day.
keep spraying her and run the dripper though.dont panic and start giving her the carnivor again just because she didnt eat , i think lucky ate on the 4th day maybe the 5th.then it was all good.

Still no change. And now we've hit the weekend, so I'm stuck until Monday.

were you able to reach one of those vets? One of my vets works weekends (not every one, but the place is open and he is usually there at least one of the two day) They also have evening hours so don't give up. Even if you can get her in first thing Monday.

When you place her in her laying container (I think you said you have a large one outside of her cage) how long do you keep her in there? Id the consistency of the substrate firm enough to hold a tunnel? Some people will put a plant and light (or ceramic heater for warmth) in it. Has anyone linked you to this article? nesting site

She may be eggbound, but it would be worth putting her back in or giving her a large enough container in her cage and giving her as much privacy as possible. here are a couple pics of Luna's setup. One has 2 containers until I figured out what she was happiest with. Sometimes I would make the beginning of a hole (I think kinyonga mentioned doing that earlier) and put her near the edge.

keep us posted and don't give up on the vets just b/c it's a weekend. ;)

28017laying_tubs-ks-med.jpg

(the containers on the left of this one are just water catchers)
28017DSCN4569.JPG

Thanks so much for the help everyone. Everything possible was done for her, but despite all her efforts she passed this morning. After talking to a vet, they said she was too weak for surgery, and it would have killed her regardless. She was a fighter though, and I can't even tell you how much she will be missed.

Man that sucks but i thought as much they get very weak very quickly,Did you save the eggs??? Hope you are ok and sorry for your loss xxxx

Sorry for your loss...but its good that her suffering is over.
She lasted longer than I thought she would.

Last edited:
that does suck i was thinking she might have survived.
if i was you i would not feel to upset because you made a serious effort to get her professional medical help.

Sorry for the late reply... been busy. We did salvage her eggs. 57 viable. After removing them, we saw that the eggs were suffocating her, they were up way too high. I'll keep one of her babies, most likely a female. She'll live on with me that way. I know I did all I could for her, but it still is a bit upsetting. Thanks all for the support.

The eggs are doing great. All turned nice and white, and they are all almost they exact same size. They're healthier looking eggs than I normally see. She just couldn't handle them unfortunately. The future is looking good for the little eggies though.

Glad to hear that you salvaged the eggs.

I hope they will hatch for you and that at least one will be a female!

Out of 57 I had better get a female, lol. Hopefully the hatch rate is quite good, then she'll live on for sure. I'm excited to get another female, especially of hers. It's weird, I didn't think I would miss her THIS much, I knew I would, but this is stupid! I got all teary when I saw her empty cage this morning. So, hopefully, I'll have a little girl from her, cause my god she was a beautiful girl. This is her when she was about 7 months old (I think):
Picture208.jpg

Picture264.jpg

I know how you feel. There are some that I still miss that died years ago. I have two female vieleds that are over 6 right now that I know will be leaving me one day soon....and it breaks my heart.

Its not just the chameleons...there are other reptiles that I have had for over 14 years that I will also miss when they go.

I hate watching them decline in their old age too. :(

I agree, I have a female beardie that is around 9 1/2 years old, and she's going to be leaving me soon. With everything there is a downfall, and I guess with a hobby/passion whatever it is you have, losing them is the hardest part. It's just too bad she was so young, way too young. She was only a year old. But like I said, she'll live on with me, through many things, I'll just have to suck it up, and accept it as facts of life.

I have been MIA again and just learned of your loss. So sorry to hear. You did what you could and even if only half the eggs make it you will still have a lot of little ones around!!

I think the "day after" and looking at the empty, dark cage is about the hardest part. I left Luna's cage up for weeks. Just couldn't bring myself to take it apart b/c it would finalize the loss. 2 years gone this summer and I still think of her often. I have lots of pics which make me smile. She was just over 2 years old :(

Wishing you the very best with the eggs!! :D

I figured it was easier to bump this thread with an update, than trying to explain the history of the eggs. So *BUMP*

It's been 6 months. Not one has gone bad... but not one is where it should be in development. The eggs are still very poorly calcified, and out of curiosity I candled them this morning, to see why the hell it was taking so long. Most of them have veins, and are quite pink, but the developing Cham inside is very small. They should be waaay bigger at this late in the incubation. They take up the bottom 1/8 of the egg maybe. Now, they have been in my closet at room temp for the first 5 1/2 months. When our house was starting to cool, I moved them into my upstairs snake room, it's a bit warmer in there.

Now, my worry is that since she did not carry the eggs for full gestation, and since they're very slow developers.... what are my chances that they're going to hatch at all? It will absolutely crush me if they don't hatch, I need to carry on Cadaver with her young. I've been tempted for the last while to slice one open and see what's going on, but then, that's a killed baby pretty much if I find out they're developing okay. But it really seems like they just stopped developing.

Any hints, thoughts, anything. I'm going nuts with this. I understand they can take 7+ months sometimes, but their development just is not up to par.

If needed I can take some pictures of the eggs being candled or what have you.

The temperature in my snake room is 74-77, depending on the weather outside. My closet was the same, 74-76, also weather dependent. I took a couple different pictures. And it really looks like they just stopped developing. Not one out of the 57 have gone bad though. Here they are:
000_0075.jpg

000_0076.jpg

000_0077.jpg

000_0082.jpg

Back
Top Bottom