Kenya Expedition 2020

So we've just received confirmation of funding for our Trioceros research trip to Kenya! For those unaware, I'm a research (and soon to be field) herpetologist from the UK currently studying Trioceros species. We're looking to leave in September this year, which is towards the end of the 'cooler' dry season.

We've got an few studies on the agenda already, including environmental and behavioural recordings on T. jacksonii jacksonii and T. xantholophus (which will include tracking and monitoring behaviours and movements of specific individuals of various life stages). We're also teaming up with the Evolutionary Biology department and a genetics study group from Belgium for some taxonomy studies (which I'm very excited about).

Since this is such a unique opportunity to gain data from wild individuals, I want to make the most of our time there (35 days) and help fellow Jackson's keepers as much as possible. If there's any specific data on those two species you'd be interested in, let me know and I'll do my best :)

Anything you could find out about mating behaviors and cycles. Is there more mating during one part of the year over another or is it just a mater of the males pursuing year round. It seems that all most all imported females are pregnant from the smallest to the largest. I know one breeding produces 2-4 clutches. My reading indicates (subjective reports) of females being receptive in a ~10 day window after giving birth.
Congratulations on your trip! I hope it is incredibly productive and educational for you. Happy travels.

Anything you could find out about mating behaviors and cycles. Is there more mating during one part of the year over another or is it just a mater of the males pursuing year round. It seems that all most all imported females are pregnant from the smallest to the largest. I know one breeding produces 2-4 clutches. My reading indicates (subjective reports) of females being receptive in a ~10 day window after giving birth.
Congratulations on your trip! I hope it is incredibly productive and educational for you. Happy travels.
Great questions! Anything we find that can help captive breeding would be amazing. And thank you! We're very excited, September can't come soon enough :)

Back
Top Bottom