Katydid eggs hatched!

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Pretty geeked about this because I caught them late last summer/early fall. Took them forever, but has been a fun side project getting these guys to grow, lay eggs, and finally hatch for the first time. The adults are large and green, pretty much look like leaves. I need to actually spend a minute figuring out which species they are still lol.

Attachments

• 20200613_150329.jpg
    20200613_150329.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200613_150322.jpg
    20200613_150322.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 240
I need to get better pictures...

Threw some maple leaves and dandelion in there for them, hopefully they take to it.

BTW, looks to be about a dozen of them so far, not sure how many eggs there were total.

Keep
I've never seen the adults cannibalize, is it more likely as nymphs or maybe certain species? They do seem happy to eat a wide range of things.

Keep an eye on it. I have had the green species of Katydids that live here in central California in small groups start to feed on each other. That is a big part of the reason I stopped keeping colonies of Katydids.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Keep

Keep an eye on it. I have had the green species of Katydids that live here in central California in small groups start to feed on each other. That is a big part of the reason I stopped keeping colonies of Katydids.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Wouldn't doubt it, but I haven't experienced it. I haven't had all that many though since these require a diapause to hatch. Otherwise they'd be pretty easy as mine have taken to food and grow pretty well.

The cannibalization happens during molting so yeah just the nymphs that are vulnerable.

Ahhh makes sense, I feel like it's that way for most insects. I've seen roaches cannibalize each other as well. My katydids last year were larger nymphs when I got them, I think I had 5-10, cant remember.

Congratulations! We use to raise Katydids when we kept parsons and always kept them together in a medium size screen cage and never had a problem with them eating each other. We raised them for about 4 years.

Congratulations! We use to raise Katydids when we kept parsons and always kept them together in a medium size screen cage and never had a problem with them eating each other. We raised them for about 4 years.

Ty jan! Thought I remembered that. What did you find their preferred food to be? Since you're in florida, did the ones there hatch pretty quickly?

Katydids are such an awesome feeder, big and green? How could a cham turn them down!

Back
Top Bottom