Kami's new cage!

serenitystarlite

Established Member
Finally done! Now I just need to wait for it to dry before I can add plants and everything. It's just missing a couple pieces of wood for the bottom, I'm still trying to decide exactly what to do with them. How long should I let the stain/polyurethane dry?

l_89aa7b9fd6854f02b2390224f2ffcfca.jpg

l_e55d5ac55bc946249886cedbc0222d3b.jpg

l_18f2279d40224f12945e1d327931b8c8.jpg

The cage is 24x24x40 and it's 5ft tall. I noticed that a lot of people have 24x24 cages. What do you use to catch the water under the cage? I was looking for a tupperware/plastic bin of some sort to use but couldn't find anything the right size.

mmm thats very nice job you've done there.i use a plastic tub to catch the water from my dripper.it has a lid on it with holes in it. so the water,goes in but my cham cant. gary

Your going to find the screen mesh bottom to be more trouble than it's worth. It's very hard to clean. Also not having a back of some sort means your going to probably wet the wall behind the cage with every misting.

I was using melamine board for both the bottom and the back of my cages, but after reading that it will eventually soak up water I swapped them out with a stained and painted polyurethane pieces of very thin plywood I found at Home Dept. They have pieces of this pre cut 24x24 and 24x48. Just drill holes in the bottom sheet for drainage.

Other than all that, it looks really nice.

Ah, the eternal search for something to put under a cham cage. Here are some suggestions...look for a concrete mixing tub at a hardware store. Also look for large plastic under bed storage bins and put two side by side. Run a bead of caulk where the two edges meet. Try calling hydroponics supply houses for larger sized ABS plastic "flood tables". The Reptariums have a "soft tray" available in various sizes that might fit. These are flexible vinyl trays that you can cut a drain in and put a bucket underneath. You can buy sheets of plexiglass or plastic and glue them together to make a tray. Just seal the seams with silicone and drill a drain hole. Tip the cage very slightly to encourage the water to run to your drain.

Something I learned years ago when designing my own cards...buy the envelopes FIRST and make the card to fit, not the other way around. So, find a nice large pan for the cage and build the cage to fit it.

Finally done! Now I just need to wait for it to dry before I can add plants and everything. It's just missing a couple pieces of wood for the bottom, I'm still trying to decide exactly what to do with them. How long should I let the stain/polyurethane dry?

I hope you used a water based urethane, they are the best ones to use as they have far less toxic fumes. It takes about 30 days or longer to cure. Please keep in mind that it will need to air for approx. a month to allow all fumes to clear.

Back
Top Bottom