kale for leopard gecko

Hupla

for my leopard gecko i gutload my crickets with fluckers high cal cricket diet along with some oranges/carrots ocasionally and iv just gotten some kale and was wondering if it would be fine and good for him to feed it to my crickes?

Kale is a bad gutload

I belive it stops the crickets from absorbing calcium reducing their nutrtional content for your leopard gecko

Kale is GREAT for gutloading!!!
Its spinach that stops the absortion of calcium.
USE IT!!!
Your gecko will thank you!

You can gutload crickets, superworms, etc. with dandelion greens, collards, kale, endive, escarole, carrots, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, zucchini, etc. The wider the variety the better....but everything in moderation!

wow. thats really rude. no would have been fine dont you think?

I don't think it was rude it was accurate information delivered with enthusiasm.

Kale is my number one go to green along with collard as they seem to hold up the longest before drying out or rotting. Mustard greens come in third.

I also believe that a little spinach is no problem at all. We eat it and it works the same way with us. If all we ate was spinach we would have problems. Also the animal is getting only a small amount from the feeder insect so I doubt even a lot of spinach fed to feeders would be a problem. All kinds of veggies should be used anyway so a little spinach mixed in would not be an issue.

I would love for someone to show me a case where spinach caused MBD where everything else was perfect.

It is an gecko not a tortoise or an iguana that mainly eats greens themselves.

I don't think it was rude it was accurate information delivered with enthusiasm.

Kale is my number one go to green along with collard as they seem to hold up the longest before drying out or rotting. Mustard greens come in third.

I also believe that a little spinach is no problem at all. We eat it and it works the same way with us. If all we ate was spinach we would have problems. Also the animal is getting only a small amount from the feeder insect so I doubt even a lot of spinach fed to feeders would be a problem. All kinds of veggies should be used anyway so a little spinach mixed in would not be an issue.

I would love for someone to show me a case where spinach caused MBD where everything else was perfect.

It is an gecko not a tortoise or an iguana that mainly eats greens themselves.

oh my. your right. im so sorry i read that compleatly wrong. i thought it stated that its wasnt ok so use it. :(. thankyou for cetching that and correcting me.

oh my. your right. im so sorry i read that compleatly wrong. i thought it stated that its wasnt ok so use it. :(. thankyou for cetching that and correcting me.

Hehe I do that all the time. :)

Just wanted to add

It is my understanding oxalates in spinach interfears with the obsorbtion of calcium with the gecko or the animal consuming the spinach (either directly or through the feeder) not the feeder insect itself.

'Tis indeed oxalates which inhibit calcium absorption. They tend to bind to calcium. Om nom nom kale, no nom nom spinach.

'Tis indeed oxalates which inhibit calcium absorption. They tend to bind to calcium. Om nom nom kale, no nom nom spinach.

So there is no benifit to spinach at all it has no other vitamins in it. Have any reason it can't be used sometimes? other than the oxalate issue?

I just want to stress geckos don't run on calcium alone. :) Can it be part of the variety? I vote yes.

I had nothing to feed my torts one day fed them a ton of spinach. None of them spiraled into MBD.

Torts don't tend to eat protein-based diets, either, do they?

What does that have to do with calcium absorption? oxalates cause the same problems with them. Same with iguanas and uromastyx.

My torts eat meal worms sometimes and fruit. I don't get your point at all . All you did was not answer what I asked.

What does that have to do with calcium absorption? oxalates cause the same problems with them. Same with iguanas and uromastyx.

My torts eat meal worms sometimes and fruit. I don't get your point at all . All you did was not answer what I asked.
I'm simply observing that they have completely different diets and may not digest each item the same way as the other.

As far as a one-day thing for the tortoises eating spinach instead of other greens, I doubt it would do much damage in one day (if it would be noticeable from the outside).
You'd have to refer to a guide on oxalates to see how much spinach has versus other things. I have a guide bookmarked on my desktop... but not on my laptop.

As for your question (I wasn't sure it was intended entirely for me),

Have any reason it can't be used sometimes? other than the oxalate issue?
The little cute "om nom kale, no nom nom spinach" was just a cute thing I made up. Don't take it so seriously.

In other news, I have to edit what I say eighty-billion times before it makes sense the way I want it to. Stupid non-face-to-face communication.

The little cute "om nom kale, no nom nom spinach" was just a cute thing I made up. Don't take it so seriously.

I was only asking you because I respect you opinion and thought maybe just maybe I would get another view or possibly a response that agreed with me.

Seems maybe you are taking something too seriously maybe defensive I don't know. We get along fine don't feel Like I am going after you. Your comment was very cute I was just inquiring as to your thoughts.

my bad:eek:

I was only asking you because I respect you opinion and thought maybe just maybe I would get another view or possibly a response that agreed with me.

Seems maybe you are taking something too seriously maybe defensive I don't know. We get along fine don't feel Like I am going after you. Your comment was very cute I was just inquiring as to your thoughts.

my bad:eek:
OK OK fine, I get it now, I wasn't entirely sure what the purpose was. I'm getting really confused lately because my brain hurts and I've been up for 12 hours because of soccer practice.

I personally don't prefer the use of any oxalates because it's really hard to tell when a certain amount is too much - by the time you can tell it's usually doing some sort of physical damage... unless you are a vet with all sorts of neat equipment I don't see how someone can realistically tell when too much of anything is too much... I guess that's how we learn in this hobby, though.

In my opinion, it's better to err on the side of caution. But hell, if it works for you, it works, right? I could only hope you could replicate the results in an insectivorous species. I think I'm just rambling now.... anyways. I like tuhtuls.

You can gutload crickets, superworms, etc. with dandelion greens, collards, kale, endive, escarole, carrots, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, zucchini, etc. The wider the variety the better....but everything in moderation!

thank you, thats very usefull ^^

Back
Top Bottom