K. uluguruensis X K. tavetana

Mike Fisher

Established Member
One of my male K. uluguruensis may have paired up with the female K. tavetana that came in the same shipment. We did our best to identify species of all of the females, but this one was originally misidentified.

Opinions?

What makes you guess this? Are you just giving the possibility of it? Would they even be able to create viable eggs?

Chase

EDIT: didn't mean to quote Craig :p

I'm not 100 percent sure they mated, I paired them up and didn't stick around to watch. They were pretty comfortable with each other when I got back. Like casual enough to have a smoke. ;)

She's looking a bit plump, but it might be my imagination.

This [=probably intrinsic reproductive isolation] is the most interesting thing I've read on these forums.

Thanks. I suspect most keepers wouldn't share this type of thing, but I believe in full disclosure even when I mess up. It was interesting that the eggs did get fertilized but were inviable. I thought they might have a chance, both species share very similar traits.

Thanks. I suspect most keepers wouldn't share this type of thing, but I believe in full disclosure even when I mess up. It was interesting that the eggs did get fertilized but were inviable. I thought they might have a chance, both species share very similar traits.

Did you try incubating them or did they look bad after being laid?

Chase

Did you try incubating them or did they look bad after being laid?

Chase

They looked perfectly viable after being laid. All had a blood spot inside. They molded over after about a week and a half. They were set up the same as I do with all my other eggs and in the same incubator. So it wasn't anything I did differently with the eggs.

They looked perfectly viable after being laid. All had a blood spot inside. They molded over after about a week and a half. They were set up the same as I do with all my other eggs and in the same incubator. So it wasn't anything I did differently with the eggs.

That's interesting. Too bad they didn't incubate and hatch, it would have been cool to see what they would have turned out like

Chase

Back
Top Bottom