K. multi two months in

Mike Fisher

Established Member
Sharing a new photo of my WC male acquired almost exactly two months ago.

4/24: 33.0 grams
6/21: 38.0 grams

Not the best photo, he's camera shy so I have to hit and run.

Attachments

• chams 001.jpg
    chams 001.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 185
Sharing a new photo of my WC male acquired almost exactly two months ago.

4/24: 33.0 grams
6/21: 38.0 grams

Not the best photo, he's camera shy so I have to hit and run.

It is funny how you word it...What a nice cham you have btw...:):)

Thanks for all of the nice comments! :)

I'm really enjoying spoiling these guys, they are a very interesting species. He's come a long way in two months. He was in pretty good health when he got here, but really tore up. Not too many shipping bruises, but covered in deep bite marks like they bagged him up with some larger males that took it out on him. He's still got a couple that are barely visible that will be gone after next shed. He's very excited to breed, indoors or outdoors he's not picky or even a bit shy about that. He's ready to go the minute he sees a female. My larger female is still being combative.

I got a larger male WC male this week but he's pretty beat up and bony. He's eating and drinking well, so as soon as I get him plumped up a bit I'll share a photo. His spines are amazingly long and dinosaur looking, but his colors are very drab right now.

I've uploaded a photo of one of the WC female multis that I got at the same time. She's gained 4.5 grams and is the most well adjusted of the bunch. Very outgoing.

Attachments

• Fmulti 006.jpg
    Fmulti 006.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 170
I love K. multituberculata. They're a very underrated species.

I agree, and the fact that very nice large males are being sold for ~$60 is amazing. The same thing was going on with montiums in the 90's. It is unsustainable. The cheap easy to find chameleon today is the one everyone wishes they had a breeding program with five years from now.

I believe most montaine species are underrated though. Nothing beats a nice cool misty jungle to grow the best chams. :)

Now if only I could afford a pair of those xenorhina you are bringing over.................

Female three month update

She's officially doubled her weight since she arrived and just finishing her third shed. This one has the best personality of the bunch. She'll even feed from a cup now, as long as I provide the one with the stick screwed into the bottom for the roaches to climb. Not the best pose, but you get the idea.

At three months, I'd officially say that they have been sucessfully acclimated.
These WC animals acclimated really well, but I have to admit to using a pretty strict acclimation protocol. In addition to the parasite treatments, frequent weighings, feeder cycling, natural appetite stimulants were all employed. Any time they lost weight that could not be attributed to fecal weight or aspiration, I used different feeders and used liquid vitamin B if they continued not to feed. I've always formulated all of my own natural calcium and vitamin powders and I include nutritional yeast in my calcium formula for natural vitamin B.

No different than I used to do for my WC quadricornis other than I did limit interaction a lot more because I could tell they were much easier stressed by human presence.

Attachments

• chams 008.jpg
    chams 008.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 97
Yep nice fat plump tail.

Thanks for all of your support with the K multis over the past three months, I really appreciate it.

Now if I could only get my bigger female to mate........

I'm thinking she might have been done making eggs for the season when I got her. She was really saggy in the belly for a long while, like she had already laid a few big clutches.

Really interesting the color difference between the two females. The younger one is bright green and the older one is dark green to mostly brown. There is almost no weight/size difference between the two now so I'll be checking the younger one for receptivity soon.

wow, i love her!!!

Thanks!! I think the females are really under-rated. This girl is just as pretty as many of the males I've seen.

My older female is receptive and now my male decides he is not interested. She even went right up to him and gave him the nod. At which point he dropped from the branch and played like he was dead on the cage bottom. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. This species is friggin hiliarious. Performance anxiety, I guess.:eek:

I'm going to try again in the outside enclosure tomorrow.

My bigger female was finally receptive today!:D I took her out of her enclosure to assess her and noticed she was very heavy especially in the body, so decided to give the male a shot at her. In previous attempts, she appeared to be receptive at first but as soon as the male got worked up she'd get combative.

It didn't take long for him to get coupled up, but I was surprised at how long they copulated. Nearly a half hour and the tank was full, overflowing a bit in fact.:eek:

I think this clutch will be big and the babies should be really healthy. She looks in amazing health. I will try to get a good photo soon.

I'm very impressed with how they have been thriving in captivity. My largest male is so docile, he actually likes to be handled now especially when he is shedding because he likes to rub his loose skin on my fingers. Like a dog getting scratched behind the ears. :)

He eats right out of my hand now. These guys have great personalities. Can't wait to see how their offspring turns out, being raised around humans should make them really docile.

Back
Top Bottom