juvenile veiled chameleon making noises

avamc13

I recently got a juvenile male chameleon about a month ago. He eats and drinks everyday and looks healthy. My only concern is sometimes only at night i will hear a noise coming from him. I’m not sure how to describe the noise but i’m just wondering if this could be normal. He typically stays bright green and his eyes aren’t sunken in or anything. I haven’t tried to handle him yet because he is still weary of me. I also haven’t hand fed yet because i don’t want to scare him and then he never trusts me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 112
So to answer your question... Are you hearing like wheezing noises? Seeing him with his mouth hanging open gaping?

Then I would like to assist with your cage set up.
What UVB fixture are you using and what bulb strength. Where it sits and the basking branches below it there is too much distance. Baby is not able to get proper UVB exposure.

I haven’t heard any wheezing noises and i also haven’t seen his mouth open. the uvb bulb i have is zoo med t5. i can put more branches below the uvb light. do you think that would help?

I haven’t heard any wheezing noises and i also haven’t seen his mouth open. the uvb bulb i have is zoo med t5. i can put more branches below the uvb light. do you think that would help?
What is the bulb strength?

The bulb i have in right now came with the hood that i ordered and it said it’s a 10.0 UVB output.
Ok so then you need a basking branch 11-12 measured inches below that UVB parallel to it.

The net needs to come out it is for bearded dragons and not good for chams. You need many more branches for him to walk around on. You can use tiny zip ties to secure items to the screen or order dragon ledges to mount plants and branches higher in the cage. And you really need live plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

I recommend this husbandry program. It will give you an in depth crash course in all things chameleon. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Have you had a husbandry review done yet where you fill out the form?

Ok so then you need a basking branch 11-12 measured inches below that UVB parallel to it.

The net needs to come out it is for bearded dragons and not good for chams. You need many more branches for him to walk around on. You can use tiny zip ties to secure items to the screen or order dragon ledges to mount plants and branches higher in the cage. And you really need live plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

I recommend this husbandry program. It will give you an in depth crash course in all things chameleon. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Have you had a husbandry review done yet where you fill out the form?
thank you so much! i already have two live pothos and a corn plant. i was planning on putting more branches but i didn’t want to stress him out. i’m going to try my best to do it without bothering him. i also have not had a husbandry review.

thank you so much! i already have two live pothos and a corn plant. i was planning on putting more branches but i didn’t want to stress him out. i’m going to try my best to do it without bothering him. i also have not had a husbandry review.
So if you fill this form out in detail we can give you feedback on your husbandry in case there is anything that needs to be adjusted :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

So if you fill this form out in detail we can give you feedback on your husbandry in case there is anything that needs to be adjusted :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Designer Veiled male chameleon. i’ve had him for about a month and i’m assuming he’s around 3 months
  • Handling - i haven’t handled him at all because he is still very weary
  • Feeding - for now i’m feeding him small-medium sized crickets. i feed him in the morning and i usually put around 4-5 medium or around 10 small. i gut feed them with leafy greens, carrots, and flukers orange cubes. i also have wet sponges in there with them
  • Supplements - i use repti calcium with d3 and i’ll dust half everyday
  • Watering - i have a mist king that goes off four times a day for four minutes. i also have a plant dripper and i usually don’t see him drink. i’ve seen him drink from the dripper only like twice
  • Fecal Description - dark brown with a little white. he has never been tested for parasites
  • History - i ordered him from cb reptile

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screen 2x2x4
  • Lighting - zoomed t5 10.0 UVB and zoomed repti basking spot lamp 100w
  • Temperature - basking temp- 82° right now. i’m not sure what the bottom of the cage is and i have a small temp and humidity gage in the top corner.
  • Humidity - the humidity gage says 45% but i don’t think that’s accurate. the mist king is in front of the gage so i don’t think it can accurately tell the humidity
  • Plants - two pothos and one corn plant
  • Placement - the corner of my room which has a fan and ac vent. the ac vent is pointed away from the cage and the fan is only on at night. i have the cage on a two foot table.
  • Location - Mississippi

Current Problem - The chameleon makes some noises only at night. it’s not wheezing or pooping sounds and his mouth is never just gaping but he still makes these noises a couple times almost every night.

Ok so see my feedback in red bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Designer Veiled male chameleon. i’ve had him for about a month and i’m assuming he’s around 3 months
  • Feeding - for now i’m feeding him small-medium sized crickets. i feed him in the morning and i usually put around 4-5 medium or around 10 small. i gut feed them with leafy greens, carrots, and flukers orange cubes. i also have wet sponges in there with them. So at this age they need minimum 12 feeders each day. If he is still that young I would be careful feeding medium crickets as he may back off of them if he thinks they are too large. What leafy greens are you using for gutload?
  • Supplements - i use repti calcium with d3 and i’ll dust half everyday. Ok you want to stop this immediately. They should only get calcium WITH D3 2 times a month. You want to get repti calcium without D3 for your every day use. With this you will lightly dust all feeders. Then 2 times a month you give the Calcium with D3. You need a multivitamin as well 2 times a month. I would buy Reptivite WITH D3 for your Calcium with D3 and Vitamin and use this 2 times a month say on the 1st and the 15th. tossing the repti calcium with D3 out. Since he has been given too much calcium with D3 I would not give it in any form until the 1st so his levels can balance out. RIght now he is at risk for D3 Toxicity.
  • Watering - i have a mist king that goes off four times a day for four minutes. i also have a plant dripper and i usually don’t see him drink. i’ve seen him drink from the dripper only like twice .... I would make sure your only misting in the morning and evening... Having long misting sessions during the day when you have a basking fixture running is risk for a respiratory infection. Misting prior to or just after basking kicking on and the same in the evening is better. Read about natural hydration method in the prior husbandry program I gave you the link for.
  • Fecal Description - dark brown with a little white. he has never been tested for parasites. getting a fecal can be a good idea to make sure there is not a parasite load.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - zoomed t5 10.0 UVB and zoomed repti basking spot lamp 100w. 100 watt bulbs are extremely strong... I would drop this back in wattage.
  • Temperature - basking temp- 82° right now. i’m not sure what the bottom of the cage is and i have a small temp and humidity gage in the top corner. Is it a wired probe at basking below the heater.... You want this because I do not believe 82 is accurate being as how your using a 100 watt bulb.
  • Humidity - the humidity gage says 45% but i don’t think that’s accurate. the mist king is in front of the gage so i don’t think it can accurately tell the humidity. It would be measuring the ambient humidity. May or may not be accurate. Getting a secondary gauge would be a good idea. Daytime humidity for veileds should be 30-50%
  • Placement - the corner of my room which has a fan and ac vent. the ac vent is pointed away from the cage and the fan is only on at night. i have the cage on a two foot table.
  • Location - Mississippi

Current Problem - The chameleon makes some noises only at night. it’s not wheezing or pooping sounds and his mouth is never just gaping but he still makes these noises a couple times almost every night. Are you sure it is the chameleon making them? Feeders loose in a cage can create some interesting noises as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the feedback I gave you.

Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - for now i’m feeding him small-medium sized crickets. i feed him in the morning and i usually put around 4-5 medium or around 10 small. i gut feed them with leafy greens, carrots, and flukers orange cubes. i also have wet sponges in there with them. So at this age they need minimum 12 feeders each day. If he is still that young I would be careful feeding medium crickets as he may back off of them if he thinks they are too large. What leafy greens are you using for gutload?
  • Supplements - i use repti calcium with d3 and i’ll dust half everyday. Ok you want to stop this immediately. They should only get calcium WITH D3 2 times a month. You want to get repti calcium without D3 for your every day use. With this you will lightly dust all feeders. Then 2 times a month you give the Calcium with D3. You need a multivitamin as well 2 times a month. I would buy Reptivite WITH D3 for your Calcium with D3 and Vitamin and use this 2 times a month say on the 1st and the 15th. tossing the repti calcium with D3 out. Since he has been given too much calcium with D3 I would not give it in any form until the 1st so his levels can balance out. RIght now he is at risk for D3 Toxicity.
  • Watering - i have a mist king that goes off four times a day for four minutes. i also have a plant dripper and i usually don’t see him drink. i’ve seen him drink from the dripper only like twice .... I would make sure your only misting in the morning and evening... Having long misting sessions during the day when you have a basking fixture running is risk for a respiratory infection. Misting prior to or just after basking kicking on and the same in the evening is better. Read about natural hydration method in the prior husbandry program I gave you the link for.
  • Fecal Description - dark brown with a little white. he has never been tested for parasites. getting a fecal can be a good idea to make sure there is not a parasite load.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - zoomed t5 10.0 UVB and zoomed repti basking spot lamp 100w. 100 watt bulbs are extremely strong... I would drop this back in wattage.
  • Temperature - basking temp- 82° right now. i’m not sure what the bottom of the cage is and i have a small temp and humidity gage in the top corner. Is it a wired probe at basking below the heater.... You want this because I do not believe 82 is accurate being as how your using a 100 watt bulb.
  • Humidity - the humidity gage says 45% but i don’t think that’s accurate. the mist king is in front of the gage so i don’t think it can accurately tell the humidity. It would be measuring the ambient humidity. May or may not be accurate. Getting a secondary gauge would be a good idea. Daytime humidity for veileds should be 30-50%
  • Location - Mississippi

Current Problem - The chameleon makes some noises only at night. it’s not wheezing or pooping sounds and his mouth is never just gaping but he still makes these noises a couple times almost every night. Are you sure it is the chameleon making them? Feeders loose in a cage can create some interesting noises as well.

I’m ordering just a calcium powder without d3 from amazon. it will be here august 12. is it okay for him to go that long without calcium? How would his fecal matter get tested for parasites? is there a way to do it myself? The temp gauge isn’t a wired probe to the basking light. Where do you recommend getting one from. I will change the misting to twice a day. should i keep them both for four minutes. thank you so much for your help!! i feel like i should be paying you for your advice ?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

• Location - Mississippi

i am also almost 100% positive that it’s him making the noise.

I’m ordering just a calcium powder without d3 from amazon. it will be here august 12. is it okay for him to go that long without calcium? How would his fecal matter get tested for parasites? is there a way to do it myself? The temp gauge isn’t a wired probe to the basking light. Where do you recommend getting one from. I will change the misting to twice a day. should i keep them both for four minutes. thank you so much for your help!! i feel like i should be paying you for your advice ?
while your at it order the reptivite with D3 as well. Yes it will be ok for him to wait until the 12th.

You can do both mistings for 4 minutes.

The wired probes thermometers are on amazon as well exo terra and zilla make one. You tie this in at basking so you get a real reading.

Start doing all the modules in the husbandry program. Trust me it is amazing info that I wish I would have access to when I started out.

i am also almost 100% positive that it’s him making the noise.
If this is the case then it does concern me.... So the worry here is if he is developing a respiratory infection. These tend to go from little signs to much worse quickly. Common signs are wheezing, stringy saliva, mouth open (gaping), and holding the head extending the throat so that the nose is pointing up.

If it is a RI then the only thing you can do is get vet treatment and they will give you antibiotics for this.

Taking in a fecal at the same time to ensure there is not a parasite issue. You can not do it yourself. Unless you have a microscope and are able to identify it. Even then a vet will require to do their own test to make sure the findings are correct and see the cham in person for a weight for medication. So you take a sandwich baggy flip it inside out and put it on your hand to pick up a fresh fecal and then pull through and seal up. This should be taken to the vet within 24 hours.

If this is the case then it does concern me.... So the worry here is if he is developing a respiratory infection. These tend to go from little signs to much worse quickly. Common signs are wheezing, stringy saliva, mouth open (gaping), and holding the head extending the throat so that the nose is pointing up.

If it is a RI then the only thing you can do is get vet treatment and they will give you antibiotics for this.

Taking in a fecal at the same time to ensure there is not a parasite issue. You can not do it yourself. Unless you have a microscope and are able to identify it. Even then a vet will require to do their own test to make sure the findings are correct and see the cham in person for a weight for medication. So you take a sandwich baggy flip it inside out and put it on your hand to pick up a fresh fecal and then pull through and seal up. This should be taken to the vet within 24 hours.
I haven’t seen any of those signs. Could the excess d3 he was consuming be the reason for any of the noises? could it be from stress? also is the picture i sent the correct temp gauge?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 83
I haven’t seen any of those signs. Could the excess d3 he was consuming be the reason for any of the noises? could it be from stress? also is the picture i sent the correct temp gauge?
That should work and it has remote probes.

I have never heard of over supplementation of D3 causing them to make noises while sleeping. @JacksJill is far more knowledgeable then I on D3 toxicity.

Back
Top Bottom