Juvenile feeding advice

saradoggy10

Established Member
My girl eats constantly. Like 12 large crickets a day constantly. She's around 4 1/2 months old and I'm wondering when to stop feeding her every day. I've heard of laying as soon as 5 months and I *do not* want that to happen because her little body shouldn't be making eggs quite yet.
She's currently 7.5"-8" long with the tail.
When do you think I should switch to once a day?

Can you post a recent pic of her?

You definitely should not be feeding her multiple times a day. That's only for tiny babies/hatchlings.
You'll want to start cutting her back to 2-4 bugs every 2-3 days once she hits 5 months, but you may want to do that sooner depending on what she looks like (pics will help verify).

Can you post a recent pic of her?

You definitely should not be feeding her multiple times a day. That's only for tiny babies/hatchlings.
You'll want to start cutting her back to 2-4 bugs every 2-3 days once she hits 5 months, but you may want to do that sooner depending on what she looks like (pics will help verify).
Yes! She is only being fed once per day but she hunts for her food so it is throughout the whole day. These pictures were both taken today but if you notice in the first picture she had just started shedding but by the second she was getting the last bits off.
20201103_095523.jpg

20201103_145657.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Super helpful. She is so cute :)

Personally, I would start cutting back on her food now. Her casque is a little puffy/rounded which is why I am saying that.

The recommended amount of food for a female is 2-4 medium bugs every 2-3 days.

Thanks for the pics! Super helpful. She is so cute :)

Personally, I would start cutting back on her food now. Her casque is a little puffy/rounded which is why I am saying that.

The recommended amount of food for a female is 2-4 medium bugs every 2-3 days.
Yeah she is f**king fat but I love her anyway.
Thanks for the advice! This is her second shed with me and I just can't WAIT for the new colors to pop.
I'll be getting a lay bin soon just in case but I'll cut down to 4 bugs every day, and in a week or so move to 4 every other day. Just to keep her from a shock.
Can't believe my little girl is growing up

My girl eats constantly. Like 12 large crickets a day constantly. She's around 4 1/2 months old and I'm wondering when to stop feeding her every day. I've heard of laying as soon as 5 months and I *do not* want that to happen because her little body shouldn't be making eggs quite yet.
She's currently 7.5"-8" long with the tail.
When do you think I should switch to once a day?
Please this is not meant to be rude by any means, but you can't control that. If her body starts producing eggs then that is the course of nature and nothing you can do. The best you can do is not over feed her causing her to get overweight and by not over feeding her also controlling the size of her clutch and thus not producing too many eggs.

Please this is not meant to be rude by any means, but you can't control that. If her body starts producing eggs then that is the course of nature and nothing you can do. The best you can do is not over feed her causing her to get overweight and by not over feeding her also controlling the size of her clutch and thus not producing too many eggs.
Of course I understand i cannot control that. But I can attempt to control the amount and, I'm hoping, how often she lays by controlling her feeding

Back
Top Bottom