just laid 46 eggs!!! NEED HELP pretty quick

reptileguy

I just put the eggs in a container with vermiculite......do I keep the vermiculite moist and do I cover the top or leave the top of the bowl open

I use plastic containers that are about 15" long and 4" deep and 10" wide. They need to have lids. I punch two VERY tiny holes in the lid. I fill the container about half full (so there is head room when the babies hatch) of slightly moist vermiculite. To test the vermiculite for moisture...take a fist full of it in your hand and squeeze it. If no more than a drop or two of water comes out of it the moisture level is right. I use the coarse vermiculite...the finer stuff dries out unevenly.

I place the eggs in rows in dents that I have made with my thumb. If you place them about 1" apart in all directions the eggs will hatch more individually (which is good IMHO).

Place the containers somewhere that the temperature will be about 76F...and where its dark. There should be beads of moisture develop on the sides and lid of the container.

Do not spray or dribble water on the eggs. If you need to add it add it around the edges of the container.

I hope your eggs haven't dried out already.

do i need to mist the vermiculite??

You should have already mixed the vermiculite with water, enough so that if you squeeze the vermiculite that barely a drop of water will come out but enough that your fingers feel moist. Place the eggs so that they are half buried in the vermiculite, and place the lid on the container. You should have poked 2 small holes in the lid, and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom