Just got my first veiled chameleon.

TheGreenMachine67

I just got my Veiled Chameleon on the December 29th. He seems to be starting to settle in within just a few days. Before every time I opened or was near the cage he would move away. Now he’s starting to stay in the spot he was. His colors are starting to brighten up sometimes, but occasionally he gets dark as seen in one of the pictures. Is there any tips on how to reduce his stress? I’ve read quite a bunch on veiled chameleons, but I’m always open for any tips I can get. I’ve fed him In the morning crickets and small super worms. I’m going to be getting 1/4in dubia roaches and some wax worms to help give him a variety. I do have rocks covering the substrate in the pot of the live plant. I also have a decent amount of vines and fake plants. However I was thinking of getting more to help reduce stress, but he seems to be doing fine. So any tips for me would be great. His name is Pascal.
EEA4A9C4-743C-4E69-81D3-587B1830A682.png
image.jpg
image.jpg
E93C4949-340C-4495-A19C-C8701CD523F9.jpeg

Welcome to the Chameleon forms. This is a great place to learn about chameleons and meet other chameleon people. Your boy looks pretty good. In that one picture where he is sleeping is that at night? I would recommend adding some more foliage to the top of his closure. I’ll keep veiles and they can be very friendly when you interact with then. Have you tried hand feeding him? Instead of buying wax worms for him try silkworms or small hornworms they are much better for them. Here’s a link wth some great research information.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

A little cutie you have there!! It'll definitely take him a couple weeks to get settled in & grow accustomed to you. Start attemping to hand feeding early - he'll start to gain positive associations with you, that'll reduce the stress of handling overtime. What temp is his basking spot? Sometimes they'll darken up to attempt to absorb more sun.. so maybe he's a tad chilly?
Also, I'd install more vines in the top 1/3 of his cage. Just mind the lights, don't want him to burn his lil casque ♡
We have a veiled as well, he's the best! He's very socialable & not as aggressive as everyone makes them seem.. he has a wonderful, curious little personality & it's been so rewarding to get to know him & share the same space. I hope you experience the same - good luck to you & Pascal!!!

Thanks for replying jannb ! Yes that picture when he was sleeping was at night. I just had a light on to take a picture. I haven’t tried hand feeding yet. I have held a small container container to him to eat. I’ll be sure to add more foliage to the top and attempt to hand feed! Ill see what silk worms and hornworms I can find for him. Thank you for the help!

My chameleon loves her cage, so when I take her out to soak or bask in the sun, she get really annoyed at me the entire time I am trying to get her out. I wouldn't be too worried because all chameleons are different. Mine is especially possessive over her food and cage

I was wondering what is the proper way to start trying to handle your chameleon. I've had mine for almost a week. I'm not going to attempt the handling until at least 2 weeks. I would like to also know what is the best way to start hand feeding them. I've placed a cricket in my hand and put it near him once and he went for the cricket and ate it. However, I tried again with a small Dubia roach and he didn't try for it. He has eaten them before, I just added them to his diet so maybe he was just unsure about them. I understand handling can endanger their health, and stress them out. However, I have seen many friendly chameleons. I know all chameleons have their own personality, but I want to try to train mine to be able to handle him. So any tips or ideas on what the best way would be greatly appreciated.

Slowly put your hand in his cage as you feed him and clean his cage. As he gets used to your hand, slowly approach him until he is ready to climb on your hand. It may take a while. Do not grab him...that will usually stress him out. By the way...I forgot to add that is a nice looking cham you have. Welcome to the Forumto you and Pascal.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom